Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Apple of My Eye


Back when were still developing our pastures we would have pasture envy when ever we drove buy lush pastures that seemed that no matter how horse were on them, they never got eaten down to nothing. We rotate our pastures so they don’t get totally eaten down. We have one that we put the horses on that has been eaten down. It is a sacrifice area and it is used as a play pen. I will be adding another acre to the pasture rotation next year which will ease more of the burden on the other pastures.

Now that our pastures are coming in very well we don’t have pasture envy all that often any more. We now have apple envy. We lost all of our fruit trees in the storm last December. We used to eat a lot of the apples, but we also fed apples to the horses. Now when I drive by houses with trees full of apples I want to stop and pick bushels of them. I have found some apple trees in the wild and I always fill my pockets when I walk past them.

I seriously need to replant. Life just isn’t the same without an apple tree on the property.

8 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

When apple season arrives here, we just buy and eat apples like crazy. So far we've bought 4 half-bushel bags of #2 Fujis ($5 per bag). In a couple weeks when the season is winding down, we'll go buy a couple more bags of #2's and a couple of bushel boxes (tray-pack) that will last us into February.

We do like our apples!

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister and her family have about 250 acres which are filled with apple trees, along with several other fruits. I must admit, it is really fun to walk through the orchard and pick a snack. It's not an easy life but it is very rewarding. (My husband and I are going up in a couple weeks to do some photography for them. I have a feeling the back of the car will be filled with treats.)

8:58 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Where I grew up there was an apple cider mill, they made cinnamon sugared doughnuts....mmmmmm, warm memories and warm doughnuts with apple cider....
thanks guy..
loopymama

10:49 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

When we first moved into our house there were three plum trees along the fence line between our place and the neighbors. I thought "Hey cool! Plums!" Didn't turn out that way. They only get about as big around as your thumb before they fall into the yard. Then the dogs roll in them and get all sticky. And the birds and the bugs go nuts. I'm thinking of cutting them down and planting apple trees. Thanks for reminding me, guy!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of em here Guy...Semi dwarf trees - Nova Macs, Liberty, Empire, Redfree - late season juicy white fleshed apples resounding with a crisp snap when you bite into them. You're welcome to them...way too many for me.

Memories of an apple orchard we had when I was growing up (sort of). The local kids used to plan raiding parties and my bro and I would wait for them up in the trees with an ammo supply of apples. Way too much fun pelting people with apples in the dark! Why do the fun things always fade away anyway??? I can't even imagine kids stealing apples today. Must be the result of lugging pillow cases of apples home on Halloween - damn they were heavy.

Moose

3:04 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, so special aren't they?

Cyn, Apples are a hard way to make a living, not as bad as Dairy, but one could easily be wiped out.

Loopy, I've been thinking of building a press. That would be cool to have one.

Darev, Unfortunately if I planted what I would like I won't live long enough to see it the way I want it.

Moose, but I want them here, not there.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Boomerang Salvage said...

I know of a vacant for sale house with an apple tree ripe for the pickin'. I'll bring the ladder is you make the pie. Deal?

12:41 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sorry, Jennifer, I've never baked a pie in my life, other than pizza. My wife is the pie maker. I rarely eat it. I'm just looking for horse treats. But I'm sure you can find someone that will make a pie for you.

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home