Friday, October 10, 2008

Burning Frustration


I grew up in a generation of burners. To protest the war in Viet Nam, draft age men burned their draft cards in protest. It is said that feminists burned their bras, but I’ve never actually met a woman that did that. Bras were too expensive and I would suspect the synthetic material would smell pretty bad when ignited. I think ‘Bra Burning” was more of a concept than a reality.

I did know flag burners, and I’ve seen people burned in effigy. It is more civilized to burn a person in effigy that it was to tar and feather them as they did in the 1600 and 1700s.

We don’t see all that much burning in protests in this country any more. We never see burning tires in the streets like we see on the news coming from the Middle East. We never see Molotov Cocktails. Maybe it’s due to arson laws.

I never hear of mortgage burning parties any more. It seems that our mortgages will outlive most of us. Many of us will experience the flames of the crematorium before our debts are ever satisfied.

The only flames happening now are on the Net where readers flame one another for their opinions.

Maybe people have more respect for fire than to use it as a tool for protest. Fire is warming and has atmosphere. After spending a night around a camp fire it’s hard to employ it for another purpose other than to cook your food and warm you while engaging in good conversations.

6 Comments:

Blogger MissKris said...

Maybe most of us are too green-conscious to burn things any more? And what about burn barrels and burn piles? We used to have a spot in our yard away from the house where we'd burn our trash every week. You don't see that any more, either. What time do you get up, btw? I get up between 3 and 4. I don't post very often at this time - I do my comments and emails.

4:26 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Aha! I knew i was old fashioned....I burned a copy of my first mortgage when i paid it off....1992, then i had a glass of champagne.
loopymama

4:53 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Kris, I still use a burn barrel, but I live in the country...at least it was country a few years ago. Also I get up at 5AM every day. I schedule my articles post automatically at 4:00 AM.

Loopy, that was back in the day when people could pay off their mortgages. Remember those days fondly.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she's a witch, burn her!!

this will mark my first season that i will heat my home using wood.

burn baby, burn!!

7:07 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, correct, another problem that got burned. Thee certainly is no shortage of fire wood around here this year.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loaded up after the storm last winter. easy pickins. i cut most of my wood along side the road on 202.

burning wood is an important step toward becoming recession proof!

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home