Thursday, October 09, 2008

Black and White Memories


We accepted that things just weren’t colorful back when our movies and televisions were black and white.

I recall there was a white line in the road, now they are yellow. Tennis balls used to be white; they are now yellow. Street lights were white and now they are yellow. It is said the yellow light somehow deters criminal activities.

Tee-shirts were always white as were underwear. We grew up with white socks and white bread. Before Howard Johnson’s came around there were only two flavors of ice cream.

Henry Ford said that you could buy the Model T in any color as long as it was black. Events were either black tie; semi-formal, or white tie; evening formal events.
There were white knights and black nights. Cowboys wore white hats if they were good and black hats if they were the villains.

Ideology was black and white. Things got weird when shades of gray came into focus. After color finally came through the technological threshold, things got brighter and one would think that we would by now be living is a peacock tail world of ultra color, but as I look around, I see a silver monitor on a black stand. I see a black computer and a black radio. I see an off white printer. Most of the things I see are black, off-white and silver. What a disappointment when we all expected a colorful future.

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Reminds me of Chuck Brodsky's song, "G-Damned Blessed Road".

"The picture was in black & white - until color came one day
It was almost as if right before my eyes - the truth it became grey.
Answers turned to questions - I put my faith in the unknown,
And I trusted it to lead me - along this G-ddamned Blessed Road."

4:30 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

To this day I still prefer my movies in black and white. Dear Hubby and I just rewatched John Ford's "The Searchers" for the umpteenth time. Sure, it was filmed in Monument Valley among some of the world's most beautiful colors, but there's something about black and white that sets a 'mood' like color just can't do. I like REAL color in nature only for the most part. I actually prefer wearing black when it comes to t-shirts and sweaters. Maybe because it sets off my silvery hair??

5:31 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

People asked me what color theme my apartment has. I reply, "wood." My father is a woodworker by hobby, and he's made most of my furniture. I love the warmth of oak and maple, ash and cedar. It's not every day that you meet a 20-something female that knows the different oaks on sight, smell, and feel.

But I do have a thing for B&W photography...

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One for the woodworkers...betcha I get censored...LOL

Two tall trees, a birch and a beech, are growing in the woods. A small
tree begins to grow between them, and the beech says to the birch, 'Is that
a son of a beech or a son of a birch?'

The birch says he cannot tell, but just then a woodpecker lands on the sapling.

The birch says, 'Woodpecker, you are a tree expert. Can you tell if that
is a son of a beech or a son of a birch?'

The woodpecker takes a taste of the small tree, & replies, 'It is
neither a son of a beech nor a son of a birch.

It is, however, the best piece of ash I have ever poked my pecker into.'

Moose

2:35 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

There's computers and monitors out there that are multicolor ... but most of them are high-end gaming computers that the majority of us can't afford.

Just get a can of spray paint, and paint the shell yourself. ;)

3:07 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Good memory, Donna.

Kris, most of us old timers do as well.

Jaggy, I want to start color staining my wood projects when I get started up again.

Moosehead, Happy birthday. Cute joke.

Walt, or I could get a Mac.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a fan of technicolor.
put that in your b/w.

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home