Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Fresh From The Fields


I was driving through the Oregon Heart Land yesterday and I always find it interesting to see all the political signs the farmer host on their land. Usually one can see that most field farmers lean to the right politically, but this year I am noticing a major change. Yes, there are still a lot of signs supporting Smith and Erickson, but in my hundreds of road miles I never saw one sign promoting McCain. I did see a few sheep and dairy farms supporting Obama who have been GOP strong holds in the past.

I know all the conservative pundits are back peddling away from all their anti McCain stances and opinions they were spewing back in June, but somehow it seems agriculture isn’t buying it this year.

Another observation is that Allen Alley is spending way too much money to become the State Treasurer. His sign has a nice look, but damn, what isn’t he telling us with his war chest?

So who do I think will win this year? As always it’s the better looking candidate. Smith and Merkley are a toss-up because Smith’s face is getting really pudgy and his hair line seems to be going down his forehead instead of receding. Merkley has some sort of uni-brow going across his moon face. Both are pretty unattractive these days.

As for the Presidential campaign, other then McCain looking like he's hording nuts in his cheeks; they are both good looking candidates and I can't predict that race either. It strikes me as odd that both candidates are promoting "Change", but if Americans really wanted change this race would be against Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. Hopefully this will be my final political post for the year.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Guy...as an outsider looking in...McCain blew it with Palin. As appealing as her statement saying she wants to stand up for "Joe Six-Pack", would you really want this woman a heartbeat away from the RED button? He should bite the bullet and ask Hilary to step in - bet she would cross the line in a heartbeat. Ahhhh...the comfort of the boredom of Canadian politics.

Moose...thinking that living in Canada is a little like living in an upstairs apartment...

4:13 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Write-in Kucinich!

4:22 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I've chased away a dozen people wanting to put signs in my yard. Think I'll make one myself stating "Vote NO on political advertising!" or just to make them stop and think: "Vote Yes on the Wombat tax! Free Aztecs for all!" A mans' gotta stand up for something....

5:44 AM  
Blogger weese said...

ya know... that McCain was a pretty dapper young soldier. And this is coming from a democratic lesbian. :)

10:02 AM  
Blogger RobbKidd said...

Farmers have been moving from the far right to the far left. Most modern farmers are well educated and realize that both Republicans and Democrats have been selling them short. In VT farmers of the right and left have been connecting with each other and uprooting the political parties, however the public is still too captivated with the Dem/Republican Madison Ave sideshow.

I do not know who said the following it but it explains the situation well. "in the Soviet Union you have one party, the Communists with two factions, in the US you have one system- capitalism with two parties the dems and reps."

The more you look at it, you will see that they both will screw you...

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm voting for Joe Walsh again.

He's just an ordinary average guy.

6:22 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Moose, excellent assessment. McCain ran an ad chiding Obama for not picking Clinton as a running mate. I was wondering if he was going to pick her instead. That would have gotten attention.

Rich, that's my plan.

Darev, How about "I'm With Stupid."

Weese, let's not forget McCain's wife.

Robb, I see any one in a suit or a corporate jet as someone that is going to screw the public.

g, now that Pat Paulson is dead.

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen the documentary, "The real dirt on Farmer John"? He's rather eccentric (to put it mildly) but I thought it was an interesting film. I'm happy to see more co-op agriculture and the locavore movement in the NW.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home