Monday, September 22, 2008

Anticipation


When I first moved here I was delighted by all the water. Back on the east coast water was always the center piece for most outdoor activities. There where rubber rafts, aluminum boats, wooden boats, sail boats, ski boats and cabin cruisers that were all a part of my former life.

For my first few years I only participated in the water as a viewer or as an angler from the shore. It wasn’t enough. One day I ended up kayaking in Nehalem Bay in a rented kayak and I was hooked. At that time, the kayak rental company sold their kayaks off at the end of the season. I added my name to their list in July to purchase two of them.

I felt like a child again anticipating the day when my kayaks would be available for pick-up. I realize now that most adults these days never have to wait for anything. It’s all now is about instant gratification. If you want something, you go get it. If you can’t afford it you put it on credit.

As a child I had to save my money to buy a bicycle and many of the other things my kid money was saved for. You could gage how long it would take my keeping track of your savings rate. You could spend the time pining away in anticipation.

Here I was, and adult pining away with anticipation for my kayaks. I would think of them as I fell asleep every night and they would be my first thought in the morning. I thought about the waters I’d put into and the wondrous things I’d see and the currents I’d feel while drifting. In my mind I could see the paddle dipping into the water leaving water-like foot prints and I paddled forward.

It was early October when I got the call that I could pick them up. I don’t recall much about the drive, or even strapping them down to my utility trailer. However, I do remember there being several hours of day light left when I returned home. I took one kayak to the landing on the Lewis and Clark River by the bridge that is near the Grange. Just as I had fantasized, my launch was perfect. The tide was coming in and I paddled and drifted up stream to view parts of the river I had never seen before. It was truly beautiful.

To seal the deal in my mind that I had made the right purchase, I came around a bend in the river to see the sun shining between gray clouds casting a spot light on several vine maples that were in full autumn color on the bank. The water was still and their reflection doubled the visible color.

At that time the tide went slack, and I was able to float there in the colorful theater for nearly a half hour before the tide started pulling me back to the launch.

When ever I see the maples changing color I am taken back to that day. I consider dusting off a kayak and reliving the experience all over again.

10 Comments:

Blogger Bpaul said...

A good example of why I dig this blog so much.

Great post, I felt like I was there with you.

Bp

5:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kayaks are great, you can really get around without a lot of effort.
Our family used to spend a couple summer weeks at a beach cottage in Fairfield Ct. on long island sound. There was a Sailfish sailboat there that my brother and I learned the basics of how to handle a sheet and tiller and loved every minute of it. This summer I found a sunflower snark sailboat for free at a yard sale they look like this http://www.castlecraft.com/sunflower_sailboat but of course the one I got was all muddy and missing some trim. With help I was able to bungee it to the racks on top of my Subaru. I took it home pressure washed it used about half a roll of Gorilla duct tape to patch up the skin that covers it's Styrofoam body and launched it on our local lake. what it lacked in cosmetics it more than made up for in function. Now thats what I call good garage sailing.

9:16 AM  
Blogger weese said...

People should wait more.
There is value in it.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My biggest regret of this summer was not spending more time on the water. There is something completely perfect about observing nature from a kayak. I wish I could bring my boat down and join you!

1:59 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Guy, as always, you make me pine for home. I could see it all in my mind as I read it. You have an excellent way with words. This is why I love this blog!

2:42 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks BPaul.

Anon, I'll have to write my sailing stories sometime, actually there is a funny one somewhere in the archives here. Anyone remember what the title was? Damn, I should print these stories out some day.

Weese, it does add volumes to the appreciation or disappointment.

My biggest regret is having not made the trip to Seattle to meet you and Lach.

Darev, I'm sure there's work out here for you. We'll leave a light on for you. And thanks for the compliment.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Super post and great idea!! Do it while you can & savor it again.

"On the Big Blackfoot River above the mouth of Belmont Creek the banks are fringed by large Ponderosa pines. In the slanting sun of late afternoon the shadows of great branches reached across the river, and the trees took the river in their arms."
~Norman Fitzroy Maclean,

11:30 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

And now, since you already have them, it's not only a great way to lollygag, it's CHEAP!

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, well, we will probably be down on the peninsula for a weekend at the end of October if you want to try to meet then. :)

2:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I'd love to. Keep me posted!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home