Friday, September 19, 2008

The Factory


There is a joy in seeing someone with talent making a good living from things they produce with their own hands. I am also amazed when I see the guile of some that think their wares have a greater value than would be expected. This is kind of like the kid with a Kool Aid stand trying to sell a glass for $5. The philosophy is that all they need to sell is one and that way they won’t have to piddle around selling 100 glasses at 5 cents a piece. Local galleries have a lot of these high dollar artists that they try to sell. As I’ve said many times before, “so many artists, so little art.”

Actually I want this rant to go into a different direction and that is ‘Factory Art” which is when someone gets famous and starts a studio with a bunch of apprentices that end up doing all the work and the artists gets all the product recognition and the money. I’m talking about artists such as Andy Warhol, Jeff Koons and Dale Chihuly.

I compare their art with factory farms. They churn out crap for the masses leaving little for the personal intimate contact for which most art is intended.

I have a reasonable art collection in my house. Each piece has a story that authentically raises its value, at least to me. I pride my self on not having any corporate or factory art. I have even seen pieces that I liked, so I went out of my way to meet the artist. Once I found that I don’t like them as a person I no longer have any interest in buying their art.

Art is like anything else. I don’t support lumber yards I don’t like, so why would I support an artist I didn’t like?

12 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Hey, I almost thought it was a sick day photo when I first saw that. Kinda like a tiny prison guard "on duty" huh?

Miss ya!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

All of the artwork in my apartment is my own. Either that makes me incredibly cheap or narcissistic... or both. But I like looking at my own pictures, remembering, and getting new things out of the photos.

Okay, the picture collage in my kitchen is all images of Chihuly's glasswork... so it's not MY art, but they are my pictures. I needed something colorful, ok? It's the only way I'll ever afford to have his work in my house!

7:35 AM  
Blogger weese said...

here, here.
...because I live with an amazing artist.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

I prefer "factory art" ... just not the type on canvas. I mean the type done by engineers, mechanics, and architects. I admire art that is meant to be used as well as viewed.

3:06 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you know the artist and have a feeling for him/her one way or the other, sure it's going to reflect your perceptions! I know an artist (but it's been awhile since I've seen him) named JoJo Tari. Neat guy. Very odd. Loved him to death. His work was a little "esoteric" for me, but I still liked it because it was his stuff. I would hang one in my house if I could afford it.
I suspect, from some of the things I have read about Michelangelo and Leonardo DaVinci that if I had met them personally, I would not have liked them. I'm glad I never met either one of them. Makes me wish I had met Warhol.
I wonder... out of all of the "GREAT ART" pieces of the world, how many of them were actually created by those they are attributed to? DId Michelangelo actually sculpt "David" himself or did he just stand back and tell his apprentices "No, more to the left"? Eek. Sorry, I guess you pushed a button there.

5:09 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

LOVED the pic, by the way.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I fully understand the 'like the artist as well as the art' feeling. I'm much the same. I have little art, but the little I have I love.

But I remain somewhat confused as to why you opted to use a photo of a guy doing a 'political office holder apprenticeship program' to use with a post on art??

7:09 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

No, Engrish useage & spellink ain't mah best trates:)

7:11 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike it was something that either Trop or Syd sent me a long time ago that I've been wanting to use and it reminded me of big studio art.

Weese, she certainly is.

Walt, I thoiught so since you have Daleks as your avitar

Darev, I've done a lot of studying on daVinci. I'll have to write. about some of it sometime. He was an interesting critter.

Jaggy, That's the best kind of personal connection.

Auntie, I haven't seen you for two months now. I miss you, too darlin.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chihuly is such a poser. I'm sure you read about the big scandal not too long ago with one of his apprentices?

Most of the art in our home are either photographs that we've taken or special pieces of art from our travels.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Jessica Marie said...

This is way too funny! I have to share this with others! It's hilarious. I guess some art can be very amusing!

7:58 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

You've got it Bayou!

Jessica, most isn't. Hey were have you been hiding. I don't recall ever hearing of your blog. Thanks for visiting.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home