Friday, September 26, 2008

The Big Cat


I’ve ridden my bicycle alone on logging roads before and it usually hits me when I’m past the point of no return, “There might be cougars out here and they love to chase things that are moving fast.”

We’ve been on these same roads with the horses and I’ve heard suspicious sounds in the near by woods. There was one spot where the trees were clawed and the smell of cat must have been so strong that the horses freaked out every time we went near there.

Though I haven’t often seen big cat tracks in places I freequent, I do have a neighbor that used shrimp shells in his garden and saw a cougar rooting around one evening not too long ago. This is very close to where I live so I do have concerns.
Most people have never seen a cougar, and I can say that I’ve only seen one. I was driving on Lewis and Clark Road to Seaside one morning. If you remember the old windy road before they cut in the new one just passed the Main Line. The road wound upward and there was a big curve with a high embankment on both sides just before it started going down hill to the transfer station. It was at this curve where I saw a cougar jump from the high embankment to the center of the road and continuing it made one bound and jumped cleanly up the other embankment and then it was gone. Within the span of two seconds this cat covered fifty feet. I’ll never forget it and I hope I never see it again while in the open air.

5 Comments:

Blogger weese said...

Hmm, can you carry catnip spray?
Spray it on and they just roll over and want you to rub their bellies.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GAH - again with the big animals! From far away they look so cuddly but up close, no.

Good thing you were in a car.

4:07 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I had heard (several years ago) that there was becoming a cougar problem around the gresham area (I think) in that the cats were tearing up the rails and signposts in the parks. Using them as scratching posts and pretty much shredding them. AT first I was a bit alarmed. "Cougars! Hokey smokes!" but the more I thought about it my thoughts became "We have cougars! Cool!" I'm glad they are still around. Wouldn't really care to find one in amongst my tomato plants (which is why I don't have any to this day) but I'm still glad they are around.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

The 'mountain lion' is moving back into our area. Guess the coyotes, wolves, bear, lynx, and occasional 'nasty dispositioned' moose aren't enough hazards when out like that on an old logging track.

10:25 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike, It is interesting to note where we sit on the food chain.

Darev, cats and tomatoes? WTF?

Trish, OK It's over...for now.

Weese, How about Kitty-No?

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home