Sunday, September 28, 2008

Some Word Seeds for the Future


It’s funny how there is an electronic echo with concerns to the Internet. I get email and phone calls from people that have read one of my articles that were published years ago. I got a call last night from a fellow in Idaho that had read an article in which one of my articles were cited. From the citation he found my article on line which gave my contact information. This has now happened several times with this one particular article. I don’t mind. So far no one has ever woke me up with a late night call so as long as they call at a decent hour I’ll take their questions.

Another place the Internet echo shows up is here on the blog. I have all comments sent to my email address, so if someone comments on a really old article I’ll see it and still be able to reply to them. I feel if someone takes the time to comment, it’s the least I can do to comment back or at least acknowledge that I read what they had to say. I get most comments still on my posts about the United Way and the article I once did on Fibro Myalgia. Sometimes I’ll get a comment on an article I had long forgotten that I had written in the first place. I have to re-read it and try to figure out where my mind was when I wrote it.

It’s strange to think that something I do today will echo through time and space for eons. I wonder where the words I write today will end up. Will they just fade or will they be resurrected again long after I am gone. Will the future enlightened humans read these archives one day and think that it’s a good thing they didn’t have to live in a world where there were people like me around the way I consider life around the time of the French Revolution.

I’m just here to plant some seeds.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Rock on!

4:29 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

I have my comments emailed to me, too. Otherwise I don't think I'd ever be able to keep up with them. Certainly not because there are tons of them...th.ere never have been...but because I'm so time-limited on the computer. I'm a little more full-winded right now because I'm on "medical leave" and I'm having a break away from caring for the boys, HA! I also feel the same way you do, that if someone comments they deserve acknowledgment. I try my best, either by visiting back at their blog or emailing them if they're blog-less and just readers. This was a great post, Guy.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

Speaking of posts and the United Way ... isn't it about time for their annual campaign again?

I wonder if the hospital would object to my putting up a sign in my office window about how much money the United Way "wastes" ... rather than sending it to charities.

12:28 PM  
Blogger MissKris said...

This post triggered off something in me, totally unrelated to your post. But it has to do with echoes, too. You might like to come read it.

3:15 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Not only do I repeat things I've said over the last fifty years, but now we leave electronic fingerprints for ever.

Walt, have you seen my United Way articles. It's about time I step on their toes again. Rat bastards, all of them.

Will do, Kris

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home