Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Juice


Why is it that you can’t find on any grocer’s shelf the juice from the juiciest fruit on the planet? I have never seen watermelon juice available anywhere. I’ve seen some weird juices combinations like mango-banana-guava, but never watermelon.

There are some stand alone juices like orange, grapefruit, grape, prune, apple, pineapple and tomato. Once you get into the exotics they seem to get blended with other juices. I don’t think I’ve ever seen strawberry juice as a stand alone juice. I have seen carrot juice as a stand alone juice, but carrots have no where the same amount of juice content as a watermelon.

I’ve never seen cantaloupe juice. I don’t think I’ve ever seen peach juice, but I have seen clam juice. I think I’d rather drink cantaloupe juice over clam juice any day.

Maybe next year I’ll drive the truck over to Hermiston and load the horse trailer with water melons. I’ll press them for juice and make frozen watermelon concentrate. Then in May when everyone is looking forward to a nice summer watermelon I will make my fortune selling watermelon juice by the glass. It will then be bye-bye blog because I will be too rich to bother with the Internet, except for maybe a franchise web site.

10 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Wow. That's a good question. I'd like to try some of that. When we were in Arkansas, we used to get these seedless watermelons that were dark green and almost completely round and they were sweeeeeet! Juice from those would be awesome.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Good luck with that. ROFL!

4:29 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

You've posted another interesting question, guy. It sounds good to me, but I wonder about the natural high sugar content(might lead to easy fermentation, or spoiling). So when I checked it out, it seems there is a company on the west coast that does sell it.
sundia.com
loopymama on her first cuppa java

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute are have you been napping with the radio tuned to the country station? The GREAT singer songwriter Tom T Hall had a big hit about the three things in life worth a natural dime; old dogs, children and watermelon wine (of course true love and home grown tomatoes are not included, because they are the two things money can't buy and thats another song). Just jokin' guy I would no doubt buy your juice as I am a stone cold sucker for refreshing indy juice products w/o h.f. corn syrup.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mix nestle strawberry with orange juice = peach juice. tried it when i was a kid.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Watermelon juice separates in a matter of hours. I know this from making watermelon martinis. Even mixing it up again doesn't save it.

7:43 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, when you move back here you'll need to go for the Hermiston mellons. They are the best in the West.

Thanks, Donna.

Loopy, and there will soon be Rust Juice...that doesn't sound so good. How about Guy's Juice...that sounds even worse.

Anon HFCS is evil.

g, does Tang mixed with milk make a cream cycle?

Syd, there must be some way to keep it from going south. You are my food guru, think of something, please.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know but i'll pass on the recipe to my young.

i'll get back to you.

11:16 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

come to toronto sometime. the specialty shops carry all of the juices you mentioned... peach juice is my favourite. a company called rubicon makes mango, papaya, passion fruit, guava, pomegranate, and a few other exotic juices. and a company called excelsior makes the best bottle peach, apricot and pear nectars....

7:42 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, my Canadian travel only includes Victoria and Vancouver these days.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home