Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Making Up the Language


It’s funny how some families develop their own language after a while. Often it’s a language that needs further explanation when spoken in public.

I think the first instance of a new language emerging was when my wife’s eldest son started using the word, “Gription” pronounced grip-shon which is a combination of holding and traction.

Next my wife couldn’t remember the name of a back hoe and she started calling it a “Digerator.”

One I started is “Shitsville,” which is any craft shop. The word Craft often sounds like the word “Crap” so it isn’t a large leap from Crap Store to “Shitsville.”

When we want to say that something is absurd we will say, “ Bring Your Suits.” In a warmer climate you will always hear the term when you are invited to any party, but here on the coast no one owns a pool, so just the absurd notion that you are requesting someone bring their swim suit to any function.

Another one that sounds funny is if you ever hear me say “I’m going to go home and take my pants off.” That actually means that I am tired and I’m going to put my sweat pants on and relax for the evening.

I’d love to hear the terms and words you use that can only be found in your families.

10 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

We had a commissioner years ago who insisted on using the word "flustrated"

5:10 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Torqueius Maximus: to tighten down something overly tight as in a bolt or a lid. If a bolt breaks, someone used torqueius maximus.
mama of loopyness

6:23 AM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

filarious: more than funny, but not quite hilarious

7:27 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Happy Joes - Sloppy Joes

Even my ex uses it.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

sticklip = lipstick
fun bus = motor home
mick = music

And raising your hand while calling, "Miss...Miss..." (as though rudely signaling a waitress)...well, that means you are about to puke. Long story.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Boomerang Salvage said...

We just make everything plural. For fun. Like "Go brush your hairs" or "Don't forget to change you underwears!" Stuff I'm often yelling at the kiddos. I know I'll think of more...

I'm still obsessing over those apples.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A million years ago as an apprentice printer I worked with a fellow and we developed our own language. A language of subtext.
It started when someone walked up to our press and invited me to do something. I replied, "Yes. That sounds like something I would like to do sometime."
After he walked away, my buddy looked at me and said, "When ever you say that phrase I know that you will NEVER, EVER go do the thing!"
Over the years we piled up so many words and phrases that had defined subtext between us, that we could hold two conversations at the same time.
WHAT A SCREAM!
If someone made a statement to my buddy and he replied, "Is that right?" That told me that the other guy hasn't the foggiest clue..
We went firewood cutting together one time and stopped at a little store for pops.
I held a light discussion with the clerk in which EVERY sentance said one thing to the clerk and something TOTALLY different to my buddy.
We laughed for miles down the road!

2:00 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, being a commissioner that could be a constant state.

Loopy, I can tell you work in the industrial sector.

Jaggy, I like that one.

Lori, My wife once named a dish "Yum Yum" just to get me to try it, but it was too vile. Hot rice and raisins.

Syd, I'll wait to read that one on your "Blob."

Jennifer, I know someone that to company names like Boings and Costcos. Have you picked them yet? Better get to it before they get over frosted.

Gearhead, let's not forget our invisible friend.

5:07 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

to announce that "i smell pudding" signifies that whatever's cooking smells good.

when my dad goes to hang out with our sri lankan neighbours (which is often), he says "i'm going out to roll my Rs" which is un-PC but funny if you ever heard my neighbours speak. so now my mother and i use it as a reply to the question of his whereabouts.

"poon-s" (poon-ess) is spoon, the punchline from a story my dad once told us.

"sucktion" when something is majorly awful.

i'm sure there are more, but memory fails me. this post was fun!

7:15 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, We could create a dictionary.

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home