Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Real Web


I think it is funny and amazing when I stumble upon one of the regular readers here commenting on another blog. Not so much that is unlikely something like that would ever happen, but more because there are so many blogs out there that there is little random chance the other blogs would have been found on their own. The readers were either curious or liked what a commenter said here and they back tracked them to their blogs.

Just the other day I saw that Darev and Loopy commented at Donna’s blog. I see “g” and Donna commenting on Darev’s blog and so-on. It’s like we are all being connected exactly like the Web .

Each of us write differently, but we do share similar interests or topics. We can easily spend a couple minutes with one another, but I doubt we like being stuck in a room with each other for a day.
I subscribe to 65 blogs through blog-lines and I think I need to weed out those that never post anymore and those I’ve totally lost interest in. Once my list is lighter, I may start taking on some of your readers.

I enjoy the diversity of the audience here and I think we have a good cross section of American society. From what I gather the readers here are from most racial groups except I don’t think there are any East Asian readers, or at least anyone high-lighting their East Asian heritage in their comments. There are several Canadians, and an occasional Australian. As for the country, there are readers from Oregon, Washington, Virginia, California, Idaho, North Carolina, Vermont, New York, Mississippi, Kansas and Missouri and Michigan. Am I missing anyone? Readers are also Right wing and Left wing in unequal proportions. Left leaners are about four to one. Some even get Christmas Cards from Lars Larson.

There a lot of parents with young children that visit here. There a three inter-racial families that I know of. There are a lot of Lesbian readers here, but no gay men that I know of. The age of the readers range from early 20s to early 70s. The formal education level of most readers is pretty high.

I’m delighted to have such diverse individuals visiting here daily, and I’m delighted that you visit one another. It shows we are all connection points of the web. It is so nice to share.

18 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Glad to be part of it all, guy. You have my sister to blame for getting me involved in your blog, but only yourself to blame for getting me involved in mine. If you weren't so darn good at it, I wouldn't have had the inspiration to put my own weird stuff out there for all to see. ANd through you I've gotten to know some pretty cool and interesting people. You rock.

4:08 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I've often thought along these same lines. When I began looking for blogs to read, I searched for people with similar lifestyles to mine; now, that isn't a requirement.

I met Loopy on a message board that her neighbor first posted on. Now we read one another's blogs.

Except for her, if you see me commenting on blogs you read, it's probably because I followed them from your comment section.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Oh, and it was Melanie from Oregon who led me here. I met her on message boards, and it was at my suggestion that she started a blog.

5:59 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Like Donna, I got to your blog through Mel, There are blogs I will try and if I like I will continue to read, it takes me a while to comment on any new to me blog, i first feel like i'm intruding.
loopy

6:30 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

You know it's been so many years, I cannot remember how I found you. I am sure that you do though since you have that super memory.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

I think this is why blogging is so addictive for me. I'd never know such a diverse group living in Mississippi.

BTW, where ARE the gay men?

8:42 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i don't know how i came across your blog, guy. i think maybe it was thru syd, but then i can't remember how i got to her, either... i'm always really amazed when new people show up to my blog that can't be immediately traced through blogs that i already link to. i love the randomness of it.

and think of it like this... we all really enjoy reading your blog, or else we wouldn't be coming back! :)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guy, you are at the center of our web. accept it.

i am somewhat baffled as to why you keep chasing away the gay men though.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Hey, it just occurred to me: I have at least two gay guys following my blog. I could send them over!

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yer swell donna. this will complete the circle. :-)

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im just here for the eggs

3:01 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Hokey smokes. You opened up a can of worms with that one, guy! You and g are the only regular commenters on my bog even tho I seem to have a few readers. And tho I do know a few gay men, they aren't in a position to blog just at this moment. We do seem to run off at all sort of weird tangents, don't we?

3:11 PM  
Blogger MissKris said...

I'm one of your more conservative readers but I don't label myself so much a Right Winger as I do an "individual", ha! I make up my own mind on things. I was registered Independent for a long time until I found out I can't vote for some things in Oregon when I'm independently minded. For such a 'liberal' state, I find that a little disconcerting. Any way...on to other things. I think I found you thru ORblogs...in fact, I'm sure I did, from something I spotted that you'd written that was on the home page. I enjoy coming here, seeing how your mind works. I'm only a high school graduate but I have an IQ of 132. I've always felt I learn more from living and reading than I do from furthering my education in some stuffy old classroom or lecture hall. I love all kinds of blogs. I comment on most I visit. So many from so many different venues of life...personal beliefs and lifestyles don't mean diddly to me. If someone catches my interest, I'll stick around for the long run if they can keep my interest. Sometimes my interest dies out pretty quickly. I'm sure there are those who wander away from reading my blog, too. I have made some wonderful friendships thru blogs. They have truly 'broadened my horizons', as Dear Hubby and I say when we stumble across something new that teaches us a little more about life. And that's one thing most blogs are about...every day life of every day people, like me.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

The gay men are at a part in the Castro. They send their regards.

9:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I need to write your sister. I used to hear from her every day. So the inmates don't have blogs of their own? They don't get to use the net?

Donna and Loopy, Mel has quite a network of her own going on. She still stops in here from time to time.

Auntie, you found this blog through Mo3. I never hear from her any more.

Syd, I have had some in the past, and I suspect there are some still, but they just haven't admitted it yet.

Dalia, it was probably through Syd, she has 28 subscribers through Bloglines. She could qualify as her own country. I found you because you have a link to this site under the category of "What White People are Writing." Both Syd and I were amused by that.

Donna, especially if they are from East Asia.

Anon, KooKooaChoo...

Kris, I'm still registered Independent. another problem with that is increase political contact because bot sides want to sway you. So the phone is always ringing.

Lori, I've been to that theater is Castro back in the 80s. Beautiful.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Guy, you seem to forget that there's a whole bunch of us that don't comment every visit. I agree about the connectivity. I often follow a comment from one blog to another.

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was "turned on" to your blog while defending my community...long story (not related to your site). I think your writing is interesting, funny, highly insightful. I find (a lot of times) that my family and I have had previous conversations about subjects you write about (I sit there thinking "How weird is that?"). There are times my husband calls to me while I am at the computer asking "Why are you laughing so hard?". There are also times where discussions in my living room w/ family and friends are STARTED from your articles. Also, your readers/commentors are refreshing. No pressure...but, I hope to always be able to read what you have to write. Thanks!

11:13 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mike, I know you are here when you can be.

Ginger, Thank you, Darlin. You have friends that check in here as well? I hope I can continue coming up with this stuff. I'm up to 900 posts so far and I always hope to get involved in more stupid stuff that turns into blog fodder. I'll share some funny stories with you when we meet some day.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home