Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You Are Radiant!


When you grow up Catholic you get baptized as an infant and in the process you get God Parents. These are people that your parents assign the task of making sure you are raised in the faith if something happens that prevents your parents from doing so. I don’t know which other faiths have this sort of arrangement. Frankly infant baptism strikes me as strange on its own, but it was done and I’m still here.

Oddly I believe that my brother’s God parents were a Jewish couple. How that got by the Diocese is beyond me.

Anyway, this article isn’t so much about the weirdness of God Parenting, but more of a post about my God Mother. My G.M. has been a constant touch stone in my life. She always was and still is a true lady. She has sent me a birthday card every year of my life so far. Though I haven’t seen her in over 25 years; I write her and send her gifts.

At age 88 she recently had a bout with cancer. She went through chemo therapy leaving her with no hair and not feeling well from the treatments. Last month her son took her for her last treatment. Here’s where it gets weird.

While driving home from the treatment they passed a police car that quickly made a U-turn in the street and turned on the flashing lights and pulled them over. Within minutes there were several police cars surrounding their vehicle. Now remember the occupants of the car were an 88 year old woman and her son who is in his mid 60s who was driving normally.

After a few tense moments they came to find that their car set off alarms in the police car, probably some sort of terrorist detecting equipment. They surmised that her final chemo treatment gave off some sort of toxic radiation that could be detected at a distance.

Holy crap, eh? Holy crap on two fronts; one being that the police now have this sort of equipment, and the other being that you can have this sort of stuff in your body and still be living.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

One word, WOW.

4:48 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Wow is right, Jeff.

Oh I forgot, bonus points go to whomever gets the correct historic point of the photo I used with this post.

5:09 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Your brothers G.P.'s didn't have to get by anything, they just had to be good friends that promised to continue the childs own faith lessons. And, another weird thing was just last night there was an article in our paper of how a cheese grater set off alarms at the local land fill, it's handle was radioactive, it was made in china. I didn't know landfills had alarms for that stuff. I don't know what "historical" fact is connected with your picture, but it made me think of stephen kings story "christine" ( I just recently saw the movie for the first time.
loopymama

6:23 AM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

I'm not too surprised police have such equipment. But their response is surprising. You'd think somebody would have told them ... "Now look, if this equipment goes off, it could be a terrorist. Terrorists LOVE to blow up police. So don't make a big scene and give them a lot of cops to blow up at one time."

8:10 AM  
Blogger weese said...

holy crap.

My wife and I, lesbian, agnostics that we are, are god parents to our oldest friends son, a jewish boy - son of a rabbi.
tho the intention in this case was not so much about faith (obviously) but about being there in case we were needed.
of course we would have brought him up in his faith if we ever needed to step in... plus I look great in a kippah.

9:16 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

my family's anglican (ish). i have two sets of godparents. i am also godmother to michaela, who is 8, and shonne, who is 9.

12:25 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

haha just got thru the rest of your story. my friend just underwent chemo and had to bring a doctor's note to the airport when she went to st. lucia with her hubby.

apparently she sets of those sensors in the airports...

12:27 PM  
Blogger Lachlan said...

Damn, Guy, that IS crazy. Your poor GM must have been quite flustered.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've been Catholic your whole life and you didn't know?

Now quit telling everyone or before you know it, everyone will want to be Catholic!

Or from Warnton.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Trop said...

Welcome to The Twilight Zone.

5:12 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Loopy, a Cannon Law expert on the site, good for you.

Walt, I guess they were out of 20 foot poles. How would they deal with them had they been wearing middle eastern clothing? That would have been interesting.

Weese, it was a Mitzvah as well. Dang, I thought this was only a Catholic thing.

Dalia, commenting before finishing the story? That's dangerous.

Lach, she was amused. She's always a lady.

g, didn't know what? Also I stopped considering myself Catholic at age 14 and I never wanted to live in Warrington.

Trop, who-da-thunk-it?

5:36 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

And no one got the reference to the car from Repo-Man. Tisk-tisk.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Scary...truly scary. And yet, interesting all at the same time :)

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home