Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Danger Calls


I registered my home phone and both cell phones on the national do not call list, yet I constantly get calls at home usually from what is listed on the caller ID as “Unknown Name.” I recently found out that you can dial *77 and it will block callers that do not show a return number.

Lately we have been getting calls that show the return number as 062-264-5219. The announcement says something like, “You are in danger of losing your warranty. Press 1 if you would like to speak with a representative or press 2 if you would like to be removed from our list.” I’ve pressed 2 before and the calls keep coming. Yesterday I pressed 1 so I could ask why my number hasn’t been removed. I was put on hold with three calls before me in the Q so I listened to the music on the phone while I waited.

As I waited my call waiting beeped, so I hit flash and that call was another call that said, “Your credit card rate is in danger. Press 1 if you would like to speak with a representative or press 2 if you would like to be removed from our list.” I pressed 1 and then heard the same music that was being played on the other call. I went back to the first call, and when a representative answered I asked what company was calling and the representative immediately hung up.

I get this sort of call weekly and what I would like to know is how come with all the technology available to the phone companies where they can turn over all sorts of records to Homeland Security, why can’t they cannot stop spam phone callers from having a track back number that has a non-existent area code that starts with a zero? Why can’t they trace the calls and shut down the service to the offenders?

Update: I got a call from Quest on Monday morning and they said that there are one- way out going calls which can't be dialed back. The company is out of Georgia and are calling about both, extended car warranties and credit cards. Complaints should be made to the State Attorney General's office, which I have done. Quest said that they have been getting a lot of complaints and that the AG's office is actively working on the case.

4 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

Thanks for the info. I used to occasionally get calls from this number: 000-000-0000, but not too much other junk.

However, I will note that it fools me every time when I hear my text message alarm go off and it's just from stupid Verizon with some special offer. No one ever texts me anymore. :(

5:49 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I often tell unsolicited callers that whoever they are calling for has just recently died in a horrible fiery crash. It usually stops them in mid-spiel and they quickly hang up. Usually gets me taken off the list, too. I'm a rotten basticule sometimes.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Bastards. A pox upon their call center. I hate them. I don't get any calls anymore. I love DoNotCall. Now, I'm knocking on wood.

But have you wondered why you have to "renew" the DoNotCall numbers every three years? Does that make no sense? Oh, wait, I see they've changed that to permanently under the Do Not Call Improvement Act of 2007. Dumbasses had to be told to do that.

8:35 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

This company is quick to react each time. Any time you go off script of how the conversation is supposed to go, they hang up. There is no debate.

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home