Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Break in the Weather


The recent warm and sunny days here on the North Coast has been a relief after the snow, ice, rain and wind of then last month or so. People here were truly getting cabin fever. I tell people I moved here for the gloom, but the past month transcended any gloom that I would like to endure.

This weekend I was able to work on some trails. I cut the grass. I was able to let the horses eat in a pasture that is usually too wet at this time of year. I worked outdoors without a flannel shirt. I let the chickens out and they took dirt baths now that the soil has dried.

Best of all I was able to hang the wash out on the line for the first time since November. The last time I hung the clothes out, the day was dry but overcast and I still had to throw them in the drier after hanging outside all day. The dry warm east wind this weekend dried everything in an hour. Yes, my towels are scratchy but they smell great. There is a lot to be said for a nice day while in mid-winter in Oregon.

11 Comments:

Blogger LMC said...

Hanging my clothes on the line is such a luxury for me. I live in an apartment with no outside drying facilities. I LOVE the scratchy feel of towels and the smell of sun on my clothes.

4:16 AM  
Blogger MissKris said...

There is absolutely NOTHING that smells better than line-dried laundry! I used to love Sunday nites after the bed linen had been changed when I was a kid. My mom almost always hung out her laundry and there was nothing better than sliding in between those sweet-smelling sheets!

4:57 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Grass? I remember grass. It's green, right? All I can see is white! There has been no break in the weather here.

5:18 AM  
Blogger weese said...

you cut the grass?
in January?
wow.

6:40 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Wow. I remember how line dried laundry smelled. That was great. We couldn't do that now. We've got two tall black hairy dogs so we'd have to hang the stuff four feet off the ground or they'd be all up on it. We had spitting snow yesterday but it's supposed to be a balmy 46 today! Wheee!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

We 'freeze dry' our sheets in winter. We keep the clothesline area cleared with the snowblower just so we can dry sheets outside. Can't beat the aroma!! Oops, forgot SWMBO just changed sheets. Nap time!!!!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

I loved smelling my grandma's clothes and sheets coming off the line when I was a kidling.

But, the weather...that's scary. We've had next to no rain this winter and the mountains runoff is going to be low. It's a pretty bad drought here. It's way too warm and way to sunny. I never thought I'd wish for gloomy, rainy days, but I do.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

Oh, and if I tried to line dry anything in my back yard, I'd get a ticket from the neighborhood Nazis.

11:19 AM  
Blogger g said...

as part of our "green" movement here at home, my wife has been hanging the clothes to dry. i love the smell of outside air dried clothes/linens.

7:27 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

My sadness goes out to those that live under covenants that don't allow line drying.

Yes, this is Oregon and you can cut your lawn in January, though most folks wait until February. Crocus and daffodils will be in flower soon.

Yes, the smell of line dried clothes is a beautiful thing. It's like a gift from nature, and it makes me wonder why the air doesn't smell that pretty when you breathe it, so why does it get so sweet when it attaches itself to cloth.

Funny you mentioned freeze dried, Mike. I have a friend that moved here from Hawaii when he was a child. His mother put out the laundry on a frosty day, the clothing froze and she thought the clothing was ruined so she threw all the wash in the trash. She recovered it all when someone clued this Hawaiian in on what freezing temps did to things with moisture in them. Too funny.

5:42 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

Due to my childrens allergies, pediatric doc put the nix on outside line drying around here. I sure do miss the smell.
loopy

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home