Saturday, January 24, 2009

Clubs


I believe it was a recent commentary I heard by Mo Rocca where he was correcting another commentator that said that the most exclusive (hard to get into) club in the world is the club of Ex-US Presidents. Mo’s correction was that an even more exclusive club is the Club of living Popes. Slightly larger, yet exclusive the Disciples club, a modern version pictured above.

I got to thinking about other exclusive clubs, surviving Beatles, Ex-Prime Ministers of the UK, People who actually liked BTO (Moose and Gearhead being the only members).

These clubs are potentially so exclusive that it makes being a member of the Royal Family look like the membership of the B.P.O.E.

Groucho once said, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." However we are often associated with clubs that haven't officially been formed formed. I can't imagine the Only Living Pope Club actually having a meeting with an agenda. I am in several clubs by association. I am in a few that I actually pay dues directly to, to cement my membership and commitment to their causes and agendas. When you put clubs in perspective, they all become a little silly. Don't they?

14 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

I'm with Groucho - and I also resent being a member of "clubs" not of my own choosing.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I'm with Groucho too.

6:51 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Groucho was always smarter than they made him out to be. I think he and Robert Heinlein helped form most of my personality. I'm a member of the Super-Secretive Anonymous Sociopathic Hermits Club. We rarely meet.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Well, THAT explains where Revvy got those wonderful eyebrows of his!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I like BTO too. Guess I'd have to be in a hermit club, but only if they meet onna Internet or by mail, ain't goin' where there's any damn people. Ain't talkin' on no damned phone either. Especially if they're anything like me!!

11:57 AM  
Blogger g said...

i like the club we all have right here.

too bad we don't have more flame wars though.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Uncle Walt said...

As Hank Jr suggested ... the coalition to ban coalitions.

4:30 PM  
Blogger g said...

uw: he also said all my rowdy friends have settled down.

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, you have to remember that Guy has been on a Maryln Manson kick.
Im serious. I'm not kidding.
Really, I'm not making this up.
He hates BTO, but loves Maryln Manson.
What can I add to that?
I'm guessing he WON'T be the next judge on American Idol. :-D

There is hope. I understand he likes Steely Dan, so for now we'll just let it ride.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Steely Dan rocks, and Marilyn Manson suck big time, Guy. Please admit that you don't really like Manson, please.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Guy; yeah!!!
Listen to Auntie and do as you are told.
And while you're at it, admit that you are a BTO lover.
You have an ear for bass and jazz, therefore you like BTO.
:-Q

6:09 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Yeah, listen to G-Head too. You love BTO. You love them so much, you actually LURV them.

And hey is that Marylin Manson in the middle of that photo or is it Weird Al Y. with his hair straightened?

6:14 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, sorry but you are in my Favorite Canadian Club.

Auntie and Darev, you are both right up there with Groucho.

Mike, time for a single malt.

g, that's nice...butt munch...feel the flame?

Walt. Hank JR is good, I need to hear more of his stuff. OH and be sure to chime in on tomorrows post.

Gearhead and Auntie, only if it stands for Bacon, Tomato and Onion sandwich. By the way you'll be happy to know that I got a new radio/CD player in the truck today and a new set of speakers in the front, since Marilyn blew my last speakers. The first CD I put in was Marilyn Manson, "This is evolution, the monkey the human and the gun..."

No I'm not big on brass, and I like Jazz less and less every time I hear it.

Steely Dan had its ups and downs. Right now I'd say they are on their downs. Now go to bed or get a room.

5:10 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

ooooh! Oooooh! Can I get a room?

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home