Friday, January 23, 2009

Just Super



I’m sure all of us have wondered if we had the chance to choose one super power, which super power would we choose.

OK if you choose to be invisible you are probably up to no good. The same goes for X-ray vision…perv. Being able to repel gunfire could have one up to no good as well. Super hearing means you are way nosier than you should be.

Having super speed could be good, but that just means you miss out on a trip well traveled. You leave one place and go real fast and then you are somewhere else. It becomes about destination rather than the passage.

Having super strength is totally altruistic. I mean how many feats of super strength do you really need to do for your own purposes? It’s like having a back hoe, you dig up a few things around the property and then what do you do? You rent yourself out.

Having the ability to fly would be totally selfish, but it’s probably the one I’d choose. There is something cool about flight. I’ve done some contour flying in a small plane. I’ve flown in helicopters and sea planes. I hovered above tree tops and flown into canyons. I’ve flown in a open sided plane. Eventually I got a hint of what flying creatures see and feel.

Humans all through history have dreamed of flying on magic carpets, or on Pegasus. Mercury had wings on his feet and Icarus had wings of wax. Davinci drew schematics for flying devices five hundred years ago. There where mythological angels and cherubim with wings and then countless inventors that designed the first flying machines.

I love the mythology. I love the inventiveness and I love flying. I would love to have a super power that would allow me to fly off with a single bound. Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird; it's a plane? No, it’s that dopey blogger living out his fantasy life before our eyes yet again.

15 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

At my grandma's house there was a fairly steep bank along the road; I remember jumping from the top of it as far as I could, trying to get the feeling of flying. I just never could stay in the air long enough to get the illusion to work, though.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Great post. Flying is what I would pick too. Totally.

5:44 AM  
Blogger loopymamain06 said...

If you could fly, Guy, you could tell me where the bluebirds go.....I get them every year for about 3 to 7 days. Then they fly away. this year I saw them just last week. they moved so fast i couldn't get a pic of them. Usually i see them in april or may.....I haven't seen them in Jamuary in all the 15 years that i've been here... It would have been a great picture ( a snowy roof, a russet colored wall and 7 red, white and blue birds in a row)
darn
loopy

5:57 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I'd love to be able to fly. Even tho I'm not real good with heights. We talked about this one night at work and I decided my power would be to be able to slap somebody who really needed it really hard from a distance. I'd just have to mentally aim and move my hand and Smack! there'd be a big red handprint on their face. Man, I could really use that in my line of work.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had regular flying dreams since 1993. They are great!
At first, I dreamt almost every night. I actually learned how to fly as those dreams continued.
In these dreams I fly like Superman.
I just raise my hands over my head and shoot into the sky at about 500 at 400mph.
There is a lot to learn. Like missing trees.
They say that you never actually land in flying dreams. "They" are wrong. I land on my feet softly every time.
In some dreams I take a frind along just by taking their hand.
In other dreams I am walking through a school and just lean back in a seated position and glide about 1' over the floor.
In others, I am on top of a building, stretch my arms out to the side and just walk off the edge. Then I land softly on the ground as always.
The dreams of stepping off of the edge of a building always involves a moment of doubt and fear but I continue on and it always ends the same; a soft landing.
I could write about this for ever but my honest opinion is that flying dreams really are about self confidence.
Every time I go to take off, land, take a friend along, levitate, ect... there are all of the nay-sayers and their stinky negitive input.
But in every case they are totally ignored and I go ahead and everything turns out as planned.
My "interpreation" of flying dreams is that they are confidence messages.
Whenever I am about to embark on something challenging or exciting, I can always count on flying as I sleep.
And by the way, I'M DAMN GOOD AT IT.
(Secret message to Moose: NO, I havent smoked that shit since 1979. :-Q )

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a flyer too in my dreams. Had a couple last week that were fabulous! The only flying dream I had that was not so fabulous was when everyone in my dream suddenly noticed me flying over them and then I started to fall, very so slowly, and of course, my clothes weren't covering me as I would have liked.

No dream interpretation needed.

1:27 PM  
Blogger richpix said...

Fixed it for you

3:34 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, that's better than the few I knew that did it from a roof.

Anutie, but the vengeful goddess in you would have you dumping things on people.

Loopy those weren't blue birds. Those were early robins that turned blue from the cold.

Darev, You are sounding more like your sister every day.

Gearhead, I hope you are better at flying than your uncle.

Anon, I won't analyze them here, but...

Rich, notice I changed the photo to the one you provided. Thanks, Man!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

I want to be Super Quiet Girl. So quiet, i could sneak up on anyone, and no one would know I was there.

4:35 PM  
Blogger g said...

1. flying
2. run like the 6 million dollar man
3. invisible - it would make negotiating easier.
4. super hearing in my skilsaw ear

necessarily in that order.

7:43 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Patti, until they look around. Then you'd have to explain your self.

g, I'm with you on #1. #2 the reason I have a car. #3 I'd never negotiate with someone I couldn't see ; ). #4 Learned too late about head phones/ear plugs, eh?

5:42 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

I've learned to do as I wish in dreams too. But for a super power, would the ability to heal with a touch count?

11:52 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yes, Jesus.

5:11 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

i can't believe no one said mind reading! i'd TOTALLY read people's minds... that way if they were thinking bad about me i'd avoid them; if they were thinking sad thoughts i'd cheer'em up, and if they were brainstorming their latest crime, i'd call the police!

(i'd also find out what people were getting me for christmas!)

4:32 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

And you will know if people like your hair and if they think you are sexy.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home