Tuesday, September 29, 2009

STFU


I find myself becoming less tolerant of talk. There is an awful lot of talking going on with little being said. The reason little is said is because people don’t want to paint themselves into a corner and they don’t want a law suit. Instead of making a statement and moving on, situations are expressed over and over until the meaning is totally washed out or lost completely.

I find it odd that just walking down any sidewalk will reveal most other walkers talking on their phones as they walk. I wonder if these people would be jamming the pay phones if they didn’t have cell phones. Maybe it’s my age and lack of attention span, but I cannot drive or even walk and talk on a cell phone. I have to stop whatever I’m doing to talk on one. Fortunately the occasion is rare. My last incoming call was September 20.

It just seems to me that all the talking that is going on in person or on the phone devalues words and real conversations. I have to hand it to the Indians (NA). If you listen to them speak their words and phrases come out like they are rationed. There are pauses and spaces between words and ideas. Some tribes even employed talking sticks, where the one with the stick did the talking and no one interrupted. When they finished saying what they had to say they passed the stick to someone else who had something to say.

Listening is the big point I suppose. If some people never shut up I question their ability to listen.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

And if you would actually listen to some of these conversations that are taking place you would find that they were totally unnecessary in the first place. Most of them are "So what's up? What are you doing? Nothing? Me neither. Just walking down the street. Are you doing anything?" Just talking because they can. It's ridiculous. There's a stanza from the Talking Heads song "Psycho Killer" that is appropriate:
You start a conversation you can't even finish it.
You're talking alot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

This may just be the awesomest post ever. I wish I had a universal remote with mute button that worked on people.

11:42 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, that reply was rather verbose.

Amy, they are called hand guns.

5:27 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I had something to say about saying nothing. I am an oxymoron.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home