Wednesday, March 31, 2010

An Act of Contrition


Contrition is a word that will perk up Catholic ears when ever it is mentioned. It’s probably because we all had to learn the prayer “Act of Contrition” by heart. There were other Acts, Faith, Hope and Charity, but we never had to learn them. The Act of Contrition was special to our oppressors.

Contrition is defined as a sincere remorse for wrongdoing; repentance. The prayer was: "O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of Heaven, and the pains of Hell; but most of all because I love Thee, my God, Who art all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen."

With this said you non Catholics may have a better idea why those that grew up in the faith are so fucked up. Instilling that sort of hell fire guilt in children that are too young to even know what a sin is is simply unconscionable.

I have to admit that I have learned to keep my mouth shut on a lot of topics over the years. I don’t speak much these days. Rather than offer my opinion when asked I often just shrug my shoulders as though I don’t have an opinion, or put a stupid look on my face as though I have no understanding what so ever. I understand contrition and remember it as a terrible feeling.

You can also see contrition coming over people when they step back and realize what they have done or said. I’m sure judges in the justice system see it all the time and know when it is sincere. I know someone that recently flamed a family member via email. She knew shortly after she pulled the trigger it was a mistake. I can really empathize because I know the feeling of not being able to take something back.

For those of you that are going through your own little contrition, I feel for you. There should be a Matron or a Patron Saint for you, but until there is a martyr assigned to your cause I will gladly empathize with your burden. Signed, St. Guy of Astoria-Rust.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I was amazed, even as a child, when I realized that not only did someone found a religion based on shame and pain and guilt but that it became the largest in the world. It's too bad that Heinleins Fosterite church never came about. They were as screwed up as a football bat too, but at least they enjoyed themselves. "Don't be sorry son! Be happy!"

6:33 AM  
Blogger Amak said...

Ugh! I became an atheist at the age of 17-18, after many years of staunch Catholicism and part-time Hinduism on the side ('coz mum is Hindu.) Now, I pretty much hold Buddhist beliefs (and that was a choice, not something imposed on me when I was a child)... Point is: Aged 16-18, I was feeling so guilty about all the ugly things I was and did that... That... it wasn't a beautiful scene and there was no g-o-d to save my own being either.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine children chanting that prayer while a nun circles them slapping a ruler to her palm... "Louder Johnny!"

That's really scary.

11:23 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, I'm not so sure Catholicism was founded on that , but that is what it did become as each leader layered on the shit.

Kama, No one can tell me that brainwashing doesn't last a lifetime. There are things I know I was fed that were total lies, yet somewhere back in my id they still surface like I believe them from time to time.

Anon, it wasn't that bad...well not most of the time...but yes I have been in that situation. It was an education based upon sadism.

5:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home