Sunday, June 13, 2010

Squatter Skunk


You may recall my post a while back where our very hairy black and white cat got sprayed by a skunk. Recently I’ve been catching a whiff of skunk every time I go out to feed the horses. My hay room is built on pier blocks and there is a one-foot air space under the floor. This is where I discovered the chickens were going under there and laying eggs. One day I cleared 30 eggs out from there. I made it chicken proof, but every morning I was finding my chicken barrier messed up.

It’s a perfect place for a skunk, but I really don’t want them or any other critters under there. Today I stapled a curve of chicken wire around all access points. It is fastened to the wood above and it lies across the ground on the bottom. Hopefully the skunk will now be able to crawl out and not get back in. There is always something odd going on around here which requires an odd solution.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

...so what smell do you hate worse. Skunk or Patchouli?

5:15 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Though they are similar I think Patchouli is worse.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

Skunks, though stinky, are so cute! And watch out for another patchouli bomb. It's been too long...

6:39 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I prefer patchouli to skunk, hands down. There are some awesomely good memories associated with that scent. Some annoying ones, too, of course. If your hay room is ever infested with hippie chicks, give me a ring. I'm your man.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like patchouli, it's the scent of my childhood.

So far only one skunk at our place. We tossed a handful of mothballs where it was trying to sleep and it left.

8:14 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Auntie, no more chemical warfare.

Darev and I'll assume Critter was the Anon. I can't even imagine the horrors you lived through if you can look fondly back on that stink with happiness. Seriously you guys need threapy.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I hear leaving a lightbulb on will keep them from nesting there. How's about peeing round the perimeter?

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home