Sunday, July 04, 2010

Farewell to Rain


Here it is July 1st (the day I'm writing this) and it has been drizzling all day. I often tell people I moved here for the gloom, but at the same time I know the last time it will rain for a couple of months will be on the 4th of July and then we will have to endure the monotony of nice days until October. If we are lucky we will get a splash in mid-August. An old friend told me that it always rains a bit in mid-August to drive the cut throat trout up the rivers.


I don't do well in the sun and heat of the summer. A couple weeks ago my sister called me in mid afternoon. She was surprised I was in the house. I told her that it was too hot to work outside. She asked how warm it was and I told her it was 70 degrees. She laughed because where she was it was in the 90s and it was humid.

I know there are some local sun worshipers here, but I'm not one of them. I suppose I should become a night person.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

We've got a 40% chance of storms today. I hope it does rain at least some. The whole place is so dry the whole county might go up in flames tonight. Supposed to be around 90 degrees today. Pfui. If it was 70 I would be wearing sweats and a long sleeved shirt. I want to go home!!!

7:13 AM  
Blogger richpix said...

Please don't remind me of the bloody heat. Today is going to be the coolest and least humid for us in the next week. 95 degrees. Code orange air quality alert already. The rest of the week is forecast to be at or near 100 degrees without a chance of rain. Our low temps will be higher than your highs. It sucks big time.

8:24 AM  
Blogger mark said...

I'm looking forward to a few days without rain, especially after our wetter-than average spring. Really hot weather, like in the 90s and above; I can endure if I'm sitting in the shade with a cold beverage. When I'm working outside, 65 degrees and overcast is just about right.

4:40 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

One thing I love about living where I do, one can still wear flannel shirts in the summer.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Jaggy said...

I'm with you. The monotony of grey skies is nothing compared to the monotony of being hot. I'll take a drizzly day over a summery day anytime.

75 degrees is plenty warm enough for me. 50-with-a-chance-of-showers sounds so much better.

7:40 PM  
Blogger dalia said...

it's been close to 110 degrees all week here. i'm happier than a pig in shit!

6:01 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Jaggy, the days are getting shorter. October can't be far behind.

Dalia, I know you miss the tropics.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home