Thursday, October 28, 2010

T+T=C


I was recently talking with two people, one of which was dismayed because he wasn’t a cat person and his wife was actively seeking a pet cat for their child. He made a point that he didn’t want to get attached to something that would probably eventually get ill and die.

I mentioned that tragedy plus time equals comedy. I told him the sad story of a cat we once had. Nikki was a mackerel tabby that one day I found a mass on a rear leg. We took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a strange cancer that grows from the cartilage. It was usually found in dogs, not cats. There was no treatment other than amputation. He was a good cat and we knew other animals survived amputation and still got around for years. Most people changed their names to “Tripod” or something like that. I called Nikki “Skippy.”

The funny thing was that when we brought Nikki home he would only hop backwards. Somehow he couldn’t go forward. I was nearly in tears of laughter as I was telling the story.

Nikki only lived another couple of weeks, but his strange affliction will always remain in my mind even though I now laugh about it.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Now I have that picture in my head. You always do that to me. Once again you have turned me into Zippy the Pinhead. "Cats hopping backwards! Cats hopping backwards! Yow!"

Hee hee hee!

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worked in the vet industry for many years and saw more cats who could not handle the alteration in themselves than dogs. Dogs being in general doofusses just seem to accept something is missing, but there's still food and things to pee on. Cat's frequently could not accept such a drastic change. One cat was near to being put down when the vet recommended the owner make a lot of changes around the cat. Not frightening just distracting. It worked, the cat was so overwhelmed it forgot to fixate on the missing leg and adapted finally.

6:57 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, All you need is a Zippy costume for Sunday.

Anon, I can see where that could work. Poor Nikki, Hahaha...No really, poor Nikki.

5:27 AM  
Blogger qandlequeen said...

You are a sick sick sick person


But so am I because I would totally laugh my ass off

5:31 AM  
Blogger dalia said...

Our little Nakita is a girl dog, but she humps pillows and soft surfaces rhythmically and with abandon. She only started doing it about a year ago. It brings laughter to our lifes and tears to our eyes every time. Tell your friend to get a pet. They are worth it.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home