Friday, October 22, 2010

Cartoon Cats


The other day my wife had the TV controller and she turned on Top Cat for me. She knows how much I love cartoons. I hadn't seen Top Cat for at least 40 years. It was a stroll back to my childhood. Top Cat AKA T.C. was a street wise city cat that lived in a trash can in an ally. He also had a emergency police phone at his disposal. He also had a cat gang.

It got me thinking about other cartoon cat icons:

Sylvester wasn't my favorite. He rarely ever got the upper hand in any situation.


Felix the Cat, like most real cats had a bag of tricks. Though I watched this often, I don't recall any of it.




Then there was R. Crumb's Fritz the Cat, the first (to my knowledge) X-Rated cat. I was fortunately old enough to see the film when it came out.
Though Stimpy is relatively new to show business I have to say he is my favorite cartoon cat.

Though he never made it to the big screen Samurai Cat (aka Miaowara Tomokato) is the main character in a series of books by Mark E. Rogers. Miaowara has a nephew named Shiro that wants to follow in his uncle's footsteps. This is one cat that should have found fame, but the books remained in the Cult realm and never made it to main stream.

Please notice I did not include Tom from Tom and Jerry or Garfield in this list.

7 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Don't forget about Jinks, the Pink Panther, Snagglepuss and Josie and the Pussycats! Exit, stage left....

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

Thanks for not including Garfield, who has always sucked! And Tom? he was an idiot, so good job on editing him out too.

My Kozmo would make a good superhero, 20 pounds of lazy lard, until you rile him up and he goes all ninja on your hands and other extremities.

Ask Bob about his recent 'book' called "Night with a Tiger" by Claude Bawls.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Sylvester made me laugh.
They weren't my favorites, but I remember reading Felix comic books; I seem to recall reading in the newspaper that there was an X-rated Felix cartoon or movie, although I can't find anything about it with Google. I fell upon some interesting sites in my search that I hastily left, though.

5:38 AM  
Blogger mark said...

I remember seeing Disney's 'The Aristocats", which was probably a partial rip-off of TopCat. Like all Disney animation of that era, it was pretty good.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Joni said...

When I saw the title of the post, the first one that popped into my mind was Fritz the Cat...ok, now it's time to pull my mind out of the gutter ;-)

11:10 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev,I've never heard of Jinks, Pink and Snag were big cats not house cats, and I was too old to think that Josie was hot.

Auntie, Ark, ark ark...

Donna, the X-Rated Felix was Fritz.

Mark, I've heard of it, but it never propelled any character into superstardom.

Joni, I recall seeing it, though I don't remember much of it.

5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fritz the cat could be found in the Furry Freak Brothers Comic books. Fritz was sleazy and sexy all at the same time.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home