Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Truck


One sound I'm getting used to is the Ding-Ding sound I hear when there is an issue with my truck. It makes that noise when my fuel gauge drops below 1/4 tank. It makes that noise when my check engine light comes on. Fortunately I have a code reader and I can check and reset the check engine light at will. It's always the same code now, the power steering sensor. I'm not concerned.

Last week I heard the sound again and my break light came on this time. It appears I was low on break fluid. That was a first and easily remedied.

I was driving through town the other day and the familiar Ding-Ding alarm sounded, but this time a new light was lit up. It said "Check Gauges." The oil pressure was good. The speed, temp and tach were fine. My volt meter was dead flat. I thought the alternator or the battery was shot, but I drove on to a convenient spot to park where I could easily picked up by a tow truck. I turned off the engine and turned it back on and everything was fine and has been ever since, but now I'm driving with one eye on the voltage. I find that things that happen once usually happen again. It's just a matter of when.

4 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Wheee... I'd love to have a simple easily fixed problem with one of my vehicles. Just being low on brake fluid would be a joy. Usually with my kind of luck when one of the lights comes on it means "Your transmission just fell out."

5:32 AM  
Anonymous auntie said...

it's just a matter of time before you will need a new beast, I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure you've had your eye on some 1 ton dually !

6:41 AM  
Blogger mark said...

There's something to be said for old-style analog gauges: when something goes wrong, you know what it is without consulting a code-reader.

10:24 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, That was last December for me.

Auntie, it's a 3/4 ton which I should get in February.

Mark, it happened again last night and it happened after the truck was started for a second time, never when the truck is cold. May be a connection.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home