Sunday, October 17, 2010

Elk Viewing Area


I have to laugh every time I drive on Airport Hill and I see people pulled to the side of the road with binoculars looking at the elk herd. I wonder if they are just admiring nature or just feeding their fantasy of lining one of them up in the cross hairs of their hunting rifles.

I don’t find elk all that fascinating. I see them more as a destructive force in agriculture. I’m not a hunter so they don’t fascinate me as game.

I find beef much more fascinating. I’ve been known to pull over and look at a herd of beef. I admire how they often stand facing one direction. I look at their confirmation. There are good ones and lesser ones.

I can’t imagine killing an elk, field dressing them and then home curing and butchering them. I’d it be beef and I'd rather have all that done by a professional in a USDA approved facility.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Aunteee said...

why do cows face the same direction?

6:58 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

"A cow with its tail to the west, makes weather the best; A cow with its tail to the east, makes weather the least."

This New England saying has much truth in it, for an animal grazes with its tail to the wind. This is a natural instinct, so the animal may face and see an invader; and invader from the opposite side would carry out its scent to the cow, in the wind. In as much as an east wind is a rain wind and a west wind is a fair wind, the grazing animal's tail becomes a weather sign.

8:08 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

If I had a gun and the proper tools and the knowhow and the time, I would hunt just for the free meat. But since I have none of those things, I just make friends with those who do. Venison sausage is pretty awesome.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elk is tasty, but you're right it's a lot of damn work. I've hunted and dressed out a full grown elk. Blood, flies, yellow jackets, stench, bleah.

Nowadays I'm to blind to shoot anything more dangerous than a nerf gun.

7:09 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, if you infuse it with some fat.

Anon, I'd rather have beef. Good thing quitting when the eye sight started to fail. You still driving?

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home