Saturday, February 05, 2011

How Inappropriate Were We


It’s funny to see how people and things have changed over the years. When I was a kid there were things we accepted as normal which are now real inappropriate.

Fur was acceptable. Everyone’s mom had a mink coat, jacket or stole. Even weirder was when they left the heads and feet of the animals on the coats. That was even creepy for the 50s and 60s. Of the four mink farms I know of in the county I think only one remains and they export their furs to Russia. Used firs can now be purchased on line for around $150

The Miss America Pageant was a big deal when I was growing up though I always though it to be a bit corny. (Corny, now there’s a word you don’t hear very often any more) Miss America was broadcast live on network TV in prime time from Atlantic City every year. It had a big audience, but that faded a lot over the last thirty years with contract disputes with Bert Parks, they moved out of Atlantic City for a cheaper venue, then the networks dropped them and not the contest shows up on some obscure satellite channel that few people get.

Muscle Cars are pretty much gone as well. Some of them came from the factory with nearly as much horse power as a locomotive and used a tanker car load of fuel every week. Some would rumble a neighborhood like an earthquake as they drove up the street.

Tomorrow we see how rules are bent so people can still imbibe in the unacceptable and inappropriate somehow without feeling guilty.

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I loved the fifties. I think most people cherish whatever time period they grew up in; I know my daughter loves being a child of the '70's.

4:15 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Everybody on teevee smoked and drank back than and nobody gave it a second thought. Even cartoon characters!

6:49 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

I changest not.
I feel no guilt for anything I do or have ever done.
If I wanted a fur coat I would purchace one and wear it when desired.
You have ridden in my muscle car; it has 3 carbs. No guilt.
The only thing that has really changed since the 50s is a very paranoid collective guilt across our land about our fine life style.
I share no guilt there either.

7:39 AM  
Blogger mark said...

"Everyone’s mom had a mink coat, jacket or stole." Wow. Guess I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks.

8:57 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, That's when we don't have a care in the world at that age. I feel bad for children at that age who do have concerns for their health, safety or stability.

Darev, It's like it was more of an open society back then, bit it does have it's costs.

Gearhead, I've ridden in your VW and your old truck. I think I recall you having Fairlane. But you are the Gearhead and you are expected to have a muscle car and a muscle fork lift. BTW, you'd look ridiculous in a fur.

Mark, maybe it was a New Jersey thing.

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home