Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Fire


The Great Storm of 2007 leveled a stand of trees between my house and a neighbors house. Since then we have a spot where we pile all our yard waste and scrap wood to be burned around a big snag of a stump. Every year we spend the day keeping watch over the fire.

I've been wanting to start this fire since December, but every weekend was either too wet or windy, but finally Saturday morning was perfect. I got the fire going shortly after 8am knowing the winds would kick up after 10am. Most of the bulk would be burned down by then and it was.

We made a little progress on burning the stump away. This stump is wet and dense and will take probably another ten years to burn. However the bulk of branches and old bee boxes are now a pile of ashes and we'll start working on the burn pile for next year.

One benefit other than the clean-up is that I now smell like I've been around a camp fire. It's making me look forward to going camping with the horses in the months to come. With every fire there is a renewal.

3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I have an old metal drum that I use for yard waste and scrap wood out by my shop. My intention is usually to set it afire and work in the shop so I can be close but still get some things done. But I usually just spend the whole time watching the fire and doing nothing else. When it's contained and behaving itself, fire is just such a fascinating thing.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are burning our brush pile this weekend. I intend to scour the place for yard debris to get burned and gone!

8:40 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Sometimes I think I could have a fire every week. I've already got more stuff to burn, but if I do I'll have to do it before June because that's generally when fire bans go on.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home