Saturday, April 23, 2011

I Heard It Perfectly


Every family has their own jokes or traditions. These seem to develop from circumstances that can only occur in the family unit. While writing about the Forbidden Door yesterday I was reminded of another family joke or tradition.

My wife’s youngest son was always a serious/earnest type. When he was about eight years old he had some trouble communicating. Either that or I just had trouble understanding him. One day I was mowing the lawn and I caught him in the corner of my eye approaching me with a look of concern on his face. I stopped, turned off the mower and removed my ear protection. He looked me right in the eye and said, “bla mnm mnm mnnm, mnmn mnmn,… Ma Said!”

I ponder what he may have said, but summing it up by saying “Ma Said!” granted him instant permission. All I could say was,”Sure, if Ma said, it’s OK by me.” He walked away and I continued mowing the lawn. To this day I have no idea what he asked, but I guess it all worked out. I know the phrase “Ma Said” is the trump card in any situation and resistance is futile.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

My hearing is starting to go out a little bit more and more and I often miss what people are saying. I've decided to take it on the offense. When someone mumbles at me I step right up into their space and say "One more time, in English please?" They will either repeat it or run away. Either way works for me.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

O.K. But how many folks know what the object in the picture is?
I do. They sure don't make them like they used to!!

8:00 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, with the sound of barking dogs and motorcycles around here, losing my hearing might be a good thing.

Gearhead, A Czech horn?

6:36 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

I'm quite sure that it is a 2 bottom disc plow.
And a very large one.
Disc plows operate much better in heavy, sticky soil that than standard plowshares that do not scour well.
If you could see behind the discs, you would see that they rotate on HEAVY bearings.
Our property had a set similar when we found the place.
The discs were 24"
The entire unit weighed probably 1500 lbs.

2:55 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

That must require some major tractor.

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home