Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Foodie Adjectives

I find it interesting how the names food items are given over to a use as human condition and general condition descriptions. For example:

Ducky is a snide description of thing being OK on the surface.
Corny is descriptive of something being silly and/or immature.
Nutty is descriptive of being crazy.
Flaky is descriptive of scatter-mindedness.
Seedy is descriptive of a less than honorable person or place.
Fruity is a descriptive slur of a male with feminine characteristics.
Peachy is descriptive of things being OK, and can also be snide.
Crabby is descriptive of a foul mood.
Foul is descriptive of a crabby mood.
Fishy is descriptive of something that is not right.
Cheesy is descriptive of something of poor quality.
Hammy is descriptive of a show-off.
Beefy is descriptive of one who is muscular.
Porky is descriptive of someone who is corpulent.


Blogger darev2005 said...

Of all those descriptors I've been called everything but fruity and beefy.

I'm taking that as a fairly good sign.

8:16 AM  
Blogger mark said...

That list just takes the cake; but you were probably too chicken to go whole hog and really get into the meat of this subject.


8:33 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you've lived a good life.

Mark, have you been hanging out with Darev and Gearhead?

5:24 PM  
Anonymous dalia said...


In Barbados, when we say someone is "licorice," it means that they're greedy. I know it doesn't end it "-y" but I'm trying to keep with your food theme.

Would it be racial/racist to include "Limey"?

Someone's skin can also be "milky" (white) and "crepey" (feathery, like the skin of very old people)

11:30 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, I'll accept it though it isn't common. I wonder what the entomology of it is.Limey, I don't think is racist because it refers to British subjects rather than the entire race of Caucasians. I wish I had consulted you before I posted...

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home