Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Foodie Adjectives


I find it interesting how the names food items are given over to a use as human condition and general condition descriptions. For example:

Ducky is a snide description of thing being OK on the surface.
Corny is descriptive of something being silly and/or immature.
Nutty is descriptive of being crazy.
Flaky is descriptive of scatter-mindedness.
Seedy is descriptive of a less than honorable person or place.
Fruity is a descriptive slur of a male with feminine characteristics.
Peachy is descriptive of things being OK, and can also be snide.
Crabby is descriptive of a foul mood.
Foul is descriptive of a crabby mood.
Fishy is descriptive of something that is not right.
Cheesy is descriptive of something of poor quality.
Hammy is descriptive of a show-off.
Beefy is descriptive of one who is muscular.
Porky is descriptive of someone who is corpulent.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Of all those descriptors I've been called everything but fruity and beefy.

I'm taking that as a fairly good sign.

8:16 AM  
Blogger mark said...

That list just takes the cake; but you were probably too chicken to go whole hog and really get into the meat of this subject.

Sorry.

8:33 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, you've lived a good life.

Mark, have you been hanging out with Darev and Gearhead?

5:24 PM  
Anonymous dalia said...

LOL

In Barbados, when we say someone is "licorice," it means that they're greedy. I know it doesn't end it "-y" but I'm trying to keep with your food theme.

Would it be racial/racist to include "Limey"?

Someone's skin can also be "milky" (white) and "crepey" (feathery, like the skin of very old people)

11:30 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, I'll accept it though it isn't common. I wonder what the entomology of it is.Limey, I don't think is racist because it refers to British subjects rather than the entire race of Caucasians. I wish I had consulted you before I posted...

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home