Monday, December 12, 2011

Red Horses



I know I haven't written since Duke's passing and that isn't because I was too busy mourning. It's sad, but I've moved on. It's time for a new horse.

I've written at length over the years about getting new horses, or as I call it kissing frogs. I'm pretty easy to please and fortunately I get good enough horses that I'm able to work with their faults and they are able to work with mine as a rider.

She just got hers about two months ago and it's the best one she's had in years. And a couple days after Duke was gone an opportunity came my way. Now we both have even tempered red quarter horse geldings. Sure I miss the quirkiness of the last two thoroughbreds (actually appendix quarter horses.) But I really enjoy mellow these days.

OK, here's the funny part. My new horse is named Beaver. There is a better chance that an Oregon horse will be named Beaver because this is the beaver state, and there is some sort of sports team out there that are known as the Beavers...and so on. Regardless, that is his name and that is what he's been called since he was a colt. My wife thought that was a horrible name for a horse because of it being slang for women's genitalia and she insisted that I change it. I said, "OK, how about Snatch?" That didn't go over very well, so I said "What about Puss or Dick?" I came up with name after name related to the female and male anatomy and each sounded worse than Beaver. She suggested Copper, since his coat shines like a new penny, and she suggested other names, but I held fast. His name is Beaver. He has always been Beaver and he knows his name.

Finally after two weeks she seems to accept it. It is no longer a vulgar name, but rather the name of a horse with a good nature and a wonderful addition to our family.

Both of our horses are sorrel, a copper-ish red color. A friend described them as book ends. They get along great together. They both load in the trailer without hesitation. They both side pass, do haunch turns, forehand turns and best of all they have good smooth trots and canters. Best of all they can both walk out. Finally we have a well matched pair. Ride on!

10 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

Did you get whacked for those suggestions? I would have gotten whacked. Repeatedly.

7:48 AM  
Blogger not.the.bosslady said...

Yahoo... so happy for you both. Sounds like your "bookends" and you two are a great match...

8:37 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, just the glare...

NTBL, We rode yesterday. He never spooked and he stepped out. Bud was in back most of the way. He's got a good healthy curiosity with looking around at his environment, but always aware I am there to give him instructions and reassurance that he is doing what I want. I think we'll try the beach next week.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

You keep talking about "stepping out". What does that mean?
You're excited about stepping out and tickled abour new Beaver; lets see.....now what could that be?....

11:40 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gearhead, that means he will walk out and not be the slow or lazy horse in the back of the pack that needs to run to catch up with the other horses when he gets too far behind. This horse wants to be out front and doesn't fear what's up ahead. You point him in a direction and he says, "let's do this, now!"

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Pamela said...

Hard on The Beaver again tonight?

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See what I have to live with?

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, the Oregon State Beavers. Never forget when I got my acceptance letter there years ago... it began "Welcome Young Beaver!" Almost chose another school.

I would have been surprised if you had changed his name though. Thought you posted a while back how you never do that when an animal knows his name.

12:45 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Pamela, That Ward...

Anon, say what you may, but I still drove all the way out to Hammond when you locked your keys in your car.

Anon, makes you wonder what they call alumni...

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An "Oregon Stater" I guess, but always look forward to those updates on "Beavers in the News".

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home