Thursday, November 10, 2011

Curmudgeon


With the recent passing of Andy Rooney I am surprised by how he is often described affectionately as a curmudgeon. I too have been labeled a curmudgeon by many readers here, but I don't agree in my case, nor in Mr. Rooney's case. A curmudgeon by nature is always cranky, always nasty and cynical.

I don't compare myself with Rooney in any other way than having been labeled improperly. If you look over my or Andy Rooney's essays you will find that more often than not there is a joy and a reverence for the objects or situations of which we write.

Sure I've had negative things to say about art, home schooling, dogs, Sunday Market, Seaside, Warrenton and Knappa, neighbors that make noise and leave lights on, fish farms and hatcheries, guns, the organic industry, corporate farms, KMUN, the Daily Astorian, Monsanto and a few other things... However most of the things I write about is the natural beauty of our area. The fresh food that we produce. The wonders of having horses, chickens and honey bees. The wonderful memories of my childhood and my personal experiences with "dumbassary." I write about new music I've found. If you look at the ratio my writings are probably 80% positive if not higher. It would be totally unbalanced if I wrote only about sunshine and lollypops.

Think of all the things you complain about every day. Are you a curmudgeon?

8 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

In real life, yes. Online, I try to hide it. Seriously.

4:17 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Well I would have to agree that sometimes you are all ate up with the curmudgeons, you don't do it all of the time. I just think you are better at expressing your grumpiness than most people.

You are also better at expressing your sense of wonder than most people.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

I hate eyelashes!
Have you ever noticed that eye lashes always get stuck under the eye lid at the worst possible time?
Like when you are driving in thick traffic or when you have a frame of bees in your hand with your veil on?
What are eyelashes good for anyway?
And can you believe that some ditzy broads actually wear fake eyelashes; ones LONGER that the regular annoying ones?
OOOOH, thats a real attractive idea. Let's identify the most annoying, pointless aspect of our being and make it bigger!
"I thought she was a pig, but once I saw those eyelashes...HOLD ME BACK!!!"
I hate eyelashes. Don't even get me started.....
:P

9:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I can relate to that. I am much less positive in real life and I'm a lot lazier.

Darev, I try to justify what I write.

Gearhead, you crack me up, man. Too funny...

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Dalia said...

i am a curmudgeon in training.

2:11 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Dalia, you have a long way to go. Over the years of knowing you I've only heard you complain about: Banjans, some men in your life, your former job in Quebec and a religious neighbor in Quebec. Practice makes perfect.

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Dalia said...

Hee hee... I have stopped complaining about the men (it seems futile; an unending cycle of life), the job at the suckhole factory and life in Quebec. All that's left is Bajans. I suppose I can't complain - or I need more to complain about! :-)

2:28 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

You'll find something, I'm sure ; )

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home