Monday, November 07, 2011

Murmuration


Thanks to Tango for posting this video on Google +, click the link Murmuration of Starlings. I am reminded of this natural wonder often happens here as well. I recall a few years ago when I worked near the riverfront in the State Office Building, every evening as the sun went down I'd see this sort of thing take place over the Columbia River at the end of 6th street. I've seen it on other occasions while kayaking by the islands behind Tongue Point and on Youngs Bay.

4 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

Just saw that video yesterday on another blog. I was fascinated - and in awe.

5:04 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Very very extremely cool. And I had no idea a flock of starlings was called a murmuration. What a word. I've always been fascinated by the way flocks move in the air. I wonder if there's some sort of mathematical explanation or if you can just chalk it up to pure randomness.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

I've never seen it live. I'm sure I would be covered with goosebumps if I ever did. :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Beth, It's like the northern lights of birds.

Darev,I guess it's the only advantage of having starlings here.

Tango, you need to hang out by vast expanses of water more often. Though I suppose they do it over open fields as well.

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home