Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Astoria Rust Updates


I’ve always said that I write things in this blog so I can forget them; make room in my head for new stuff. I get occasional questions from readers wanting to know how something I wrote about turned out, so this post is dedicated to updates on some things I’ve written about since August.

The lone walnut I collected from my walnut tree ended up being a dud. I cracked it open and there was a shriveled piece you yuck inside.

I’m not liking my new phone all that much because when it’s on it automatically locks to prevent pocket dialing and when I unlock it, it will often try to open an apps site for me to buy apps and it takes a while to clear that screen. Another thing is that when you call this phone two rings go by before the phone makes a sound to let me know someone is calling and if I don’t retrieve the phone and push the send button within the next ring the call goes to voice mail. I really should have gotten a pocket watch.

The raspberry bushes produced more than I would have believed. We probably got three gallons of berries which are now frozen to use through the rest of the year.

I harvested all the wheat that was growing randomly around my yard from the straw I’ve used this year. I’m saving all the harvested wheat to plant a crop in a raised bed next year.

The garden is frosted and finished and the chickens are once again allowed to roam and dig at will.

My left eye is still messed up. Though my vision is getting clearer the most noticeable thing is that things look much smaller through my left eye. If I look at what I am writing right now with my right eye the text on the computer looks normal in 11 point type, however if I look at it through my left eye it looks like 6 point type and it looks wavy. It’s all very odd and it messes with my depth perception.

Several chickens are molting, and the shorter days have reduced my egg collection to zero or one egg per day. So, I've added a timer and a lamp to the coop, which goes on at 3AM which increases their light per day to fourteen hours. Hopefully production will increase with the young hens that aren't even nine months old yet. If not I'll bring out the halogen lamps.

6 Comments:

Blogger g said...

Ditto on the Raspberries. By the way, what is your technique on how you store the raspberries? I picked a few batches that got all moldy almost overnight so I had to throw them out.

9:45 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

Throw your piece of crap phone away and get a Casio GZ-One.
Best phone I have ever had.
I'll let you call my uncle on it at the bash.

9:53 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, never rinse them and don't sprinkle them with sugar. Pour them onto a cookie baking sheet/pan loosely, not bunched up and put them into the freezer over night. Then put them into a zip-lock freezer bag and keep frozen until needed. If you are going to bake with them don't thaw them first, just put them in the batter frozen.

Gearhead, I wish I had know about that phone before. Ever use it under water? If we have a massive rain later this month you can call me while you float down the road and I'll come get you.

12:32 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Ach. I'm still resisting getting a cell phone. We bought a prepaid disposable phone for emergencies. In four moths we have used it... twice. Other than that, I wear a watch and go talk to people when I need to.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Trop said...

I just upgraded to a smart phone and I love it. I can play on-demand music via the Rhapsody app. I love the GPS with spoken driving directions. I love the ISS app so I can always find it in the night sky. I love that it has an FM radio. I love that I can download and listen to CBS Radio Mystery Theater episodes form the 1970s.

Htc evo shift.

7:00 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Trop, that does a lot of stuff, but what I really need is a pocket watch ; )

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home