Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Advice From Astoria Rust


Having had this blog for over five years now with over 1800 posts; these articles show up in all sorts of web searches which have interested enough people from the outside to email me and ask questions from time. The most often asked item is for advice for someone who is planning to move to the area. Generally my only advice to anyone who moves here is, and I always give this advice:

1. Never buy a house on a slope and try to live where you don't have neighbors close by. Everyone I know who lives in town has a crazy neighbor.

2. Stay out of politics. Though your intentions may be pure, very few in politics here ever end up unscathed. Their reputations are in shambles when they leave office and their names become synonyms with and adjectives for unpleasantness.

3. Never believe anything that is printed in the Daily Astorian. The publisher and editors have their own agenda and have been detrimental to the growth and stability of our region for at least the last ten years with their one-sided, nonobjective reporting and editorializing. Their reporters are unseasoned and are only here long enough to add experience to a resume and they get out as soon as they realize what devils they are employed by.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sound advice!

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. But where do you get your local news?

6:30 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

You can find out anything you need to know right here. The Daily Rustian!

8:24 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Good question. I actually avoid local news media. I used to think that KAST was good but then Tom Freel had some sort of medical problem and then when he came back the news came on later and it broke my listening pattern and I haven't listened in well over a year now. I used to visit NCO, but at one point I found it to be as biased as the Astorian, then their postings were very erratic where there were several days without new content or an over abundance of fluff content, so I counted it as unreliable. Hipfish is probably the worst of all possible biased reporting, but to their credit they don't try to hide it. I get my news by word of mouth, and even most of that I don't care about. I feel much better now that I am no longer angered by local events. Ignorance is bliss.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

Guy said: "Ignorance is bliss."
It isn't ignorance. It is a matter of protecting your precious mind from the contentious sewer pipe of the masses.
99% of what our society of sewer rats concern themselves with does not interest me in the least.
Nothing wrong with practicing a measure of mental hygene.

9:14 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Gearhead, funny, I guess I've always considered you a 1%'er ; )

9:19 AM  
Blogger g said...

Sage advice. I follow all of it to a T.

11:00 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

g, too bad you had to learn the hard way. Ever have a home on the slope?

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home