Friday, November 11, 2011

Oh Deer...


I noticed years ago how cyclical things are in nature here. Some years you will see a lot of one sort of animal and the next year you won't see them any more but you'll see a lot of a different type of animal.

A few years back I mentioned to an acquaintance that I had been hearing a lot of coyotes at night and he told me that was because the price of beaver pelts had gone down that year. Lower prices equals fewer people trapping beavers which equals to a higher population of beavers and a higher population of coyotes preying on the beavers.

Last year it was raccoons. They were everywhere and this year there are reports of sick raccoons showing up at people's houses and the police come by and dispatch them.

This year I'm predicting an up-coming increase in the cougar population because there seems to be deer everywhere. Day or night, I've been seeing deer on front lawns, in town, on the side of the road and in the road. I am normally a slow driver and there is so much deer activity that I've slowed it down even more. There are stretches of road on the way to my house where I have never seen deer in the past, but they are there now, too.

Driving home the other night I had to stop three different times on a five mile stretch to avoid a collision. I'm expecting a lot of auto body shops will be busy until the cougars can reset the balance of nature around here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Ha, I thought you were talking about the other kind of cougar....they also reset the balance of nature.

7:50 AM  
Blogger g said...

I hit one a couple mornings ago with my prius. Took out most of the driver side of my car to the tune of about $4000. Son of a...

9:02 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

We've had a ton of deer around here as well. But rifle season started this morning so I'm sure the population will dwindle quickly. I got a laugh at Mr Toad's expense last week. He took a couple of days off to go to a fishing tournament and hit a deer on the way there. I think it was karma.

9:09 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango........Tango...

Maybe you should add a noise maker to the Pious so the wild life can hear you coming next time.

Darev, in some circles that would be a lucky, shot free freezer filler.

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home