Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Addicted to Pawn



We were driving through Longview on Monday and we saw a sign on the back side of a building that said Pawn Shop.  Sure I've seen Pawn Stars, Cajun Pawn and Hard Core Pawn on TV and I've seen The Pawn Broker.  I went into a pawn shop to look around when I was much younger, but I didn't fully appreciate how cool these places can be.

I've been to Goodwill and other thrift stores in the past and have been under-whelmed with what they have to offer and I rarely buy from them.  It was at the pawn shop where I realized that you can find things of value that have been pawned and the things of little or no value end up at the thrift shops.

At this pawn shop I could have purchased a 25 gallon compressor, a 5,000 Watt generator, and a wire welder each for around $125.  My wife ended up getting a cool watch and a digital camera.  I bought a pocket watch to replace my cell phone since that is all I use my phone for and I bought a new two burner propane camp stove which REI has for $70.  We got everything for $50.

I am now addicted to Pawn!

9 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I'm impressed.

4:47 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

Too bad you aren't addicted to spelling. LOL Love ya!

6:38 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, Me, too.

Auntie, fixed.

8:11 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Some of those places are neat to go into. And you can find some amazing deals at times. But the recent popularity has driven prices up. Now they tend to act like they are antique brokers rather than junk salesmen.

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice find. I will have to check out the ones in this town...there must be a dozend of them.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

Please keep your eyes open for a magdrill. I don't have enough use for one to justify their spendy price tag, but if I can find one in a hock shop in good shape I would snag it. Thanx!

9:43 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Tango, go to one today!

Gearhead, I think there are three of them in your town. Wgat is a magdrill?

4:52 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

It is a SUPER HEAVY DUTY drill on a magnetic base for drilling precision holes on machinery:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/CatalogItem/Images/17557_4208-1.jpg

9:20 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Wow, that thing looks nasty.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home