Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Kayaking

I bought two Kiwi Kayaks several years ago.  I used to go out on the rivers pretty often, but then my summers became consumed with building projects.  One day a few years ago I noticed they were missing and came to find that my Step Son borrowed them.  After months of haranguing I finally got them back. Now I am rediscovering the areas I haven't been on since 2005.

The photo above is up-stream from the Lewis and Clark boat ramp.  I was surprised to see there wasn't much residual damage from the 2007 storm and at high tide one can float three miles up to where the brackish water turns to fresh water.

It is interesting how different the river is when you float down stream from the boat ramp.  The river is wider with far fewer trees.  Fewer fish were jumping, but more wildlife was present with cormorants, geese and river otters.

Every once in a while I will drive by some water and see people kayaking and feel a twinge of envy, but now I can relax and realize I can now go out any time I want.





3 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I haven't been on the water in ages. I miss it. Seems like a good portion of my younger life was spent on the water in one way or another.

The only choices around here are the Mississippi or one of the "party" rivers where you see more drunks and floating beer cans than you do any wildlife.

These philistines don't know how to treat a decent river around here.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Pamela said...

(insert banjos playing)
Seriously, I want to go.

8:18 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Mississippi eh? You can start the first gambling kayak.

Pamela, Blue Mamba joined me to paddle the lower L&C River to Youngs Bay last week. Jealous?

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home