Monday, May 21, 2012

Epic Songs

Every few years an epic song comes along which gets people thinking or makes them feel nostalgic about something in their lives.  In the past there has been songs like Don McLean's, "American Pie" and "Vincent", Harry Chapin's, "Cats in the Cradle",  Shel Silverstein's, " Rosalee's Good Eats Cafe" and Steve Goodman's "My Old Man".  More recently there are songs like the Decemberists, "Mariner's Revenge".

These songs are pieces of lyrical art and I can imagine the writers  shaking and shivering after the entire first play through realizing fully that they have just written a song of a life time.

I just found another of these songs by the Avett Brothers called the Ballad of Love and Hate.  Here is the song with lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pre7bINBps

6 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Whoa! That sounds like something Loudon Wainwright III would have written! I almost didn't listen because usually your kind of music isn't my kind. I'm glad I listened!

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just found it? I saw them live in 2007. Loved this song.

6:15 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Very nice.

Epic, indeed.

Sent it to a songwriter friend of mine. That kind of thing always makes him jealous and gets his juices flowing again.

9:43 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, thanks for the leap of faith.

Anon, Yep, just found it. I can't keep up with everything you young hipsters are into. I don't have that much leisure time.

Darev,You should send him Bobby Dear's Lullaby's Legends and Lies...He'd go into overload.

5:20 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

(grin) I sent it to him.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Bpaul said...

Good catch, sir.

Bp

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home