Monday, April 02, 2012

Cookies

I have some cookie issues. First they are mis-named. They should be called bakies since you bake them, not cook them. This aside, I've always loved cookies. What's not to love? Even a bad cookie is better than no cookie at all, but I see a major change slowly changing the face of my cookie world that is disturbing.

When I was a kid the markets had a cookie aisle. There were different types of cookies four shelves high for the entire length of the aisle. Now if you go to the cookie aisle at Fred Meyer there are about five feet of cookies, then ten feet of every sort of chocolate chip concoction possible then it goes into a couple feet of Nilla Wafers and bang you are into crackers for the rest of the aisle.

I can understand why people are off commercial cookies. They have changed past the point of being good, tasty or interesting. Have you had a Fig Newton lately. It's not the succulent treat it used to be. The fig paste is chewy and the cookie shell is akin to shredded cardboard. Have you tried dunking a chocolate cover graham cracker in milk lately? You can bite off the ends, put it in a glass of milk, come back an hour later and and find it still floating and the inside is still crisp. A proper graham cracker cookie should get totally mushy inside while the chocolate shell becomes cold and crisp.

Sometimes I just was a little cookie. That's why I usually have a bag of Mother's in the cupboard. I don't want the burden of trying to cut myself off from eating an entire bakery cookie. Mother's cookies are the perfect bite size for me.

Now let's talk about bakery cookies for a moment. Aside from chocolate chip and maybe oatmeal cookies, I am willing to bet that sinckerdoodles are among the top three most popular bakery cookies. So why can't you get a commercial snickerdoodle? There are so many nauseating varieties of chocolate chips on the shelves, why not pull one of the big chip with sprinkles and corn nuts that everyone overlooks and throw in sinckerdoodles. A new cookie could breath some new life into the dwindling cookie aisle. Trust me, I'm an expert.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Pam said...

Is this a cry for me to make you some snickerdoodles?

7:50 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Most of the commercial cookies available today are tasteless and awful. But I do have half a bag of Mothers iced animal cookies that I love. Even though those little round candy things get stuck in my teeth.

7:57 AM  
Blogger mark said...

"Trust me, I'm an expert", and not one word about Oreos. Hmmm.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

The thing that turns me off store-bought cookies is the price. None of them are THAT good.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

HEY, Guy! I made you some cookies. I've been baking them for TWO hours. Hope you appreciate them. See you tomorrow with a bucket load of snickerdoodles. (I beat Pam to it!)

8:06 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Pam, I'm always up for cookie donations or a shinny new back hoe.

Mother's cookies are good. It was sad when they went out of business a couple years ago, and I was glad when they reopened.

Oreos don't hold a candle to Hydrox. Hydrox were first.

Donna, that is a broad stroke. Though home made are better, I have been disappointed by some bakeries' cookies.

Auntie, wow! you are a friend indeed. Pam will just have to get me a back hoe.

8:50 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thank you, Auntie. They were perfect.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

There's more if you need a refill. Glad you liked them!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bake all of my cookies. Most of the store bought ones have a chemical taste to them I just cannot get around. I do like Mother's Taffy cookies they are just to much money.

4:56 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Nulaanne, Have you tried the Gouchos?

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I will have to pick up a box and take them to work.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home