Saturday, March 10, 2012

You Asked For It


All right already. Here’s a new post. Three of my seven readers have made me feel guilty enough that I’m writing a new article. Especially because one of them gave up drinking for Lent and the photo of the glass of applejack was haunting her and making her question her resolve when she checks the blog every morning. That applejack is calling her name.

Once in a while someone will bring up a topic I had written about in the past, and I will search the archives to see what I had to say back in the day. I am constantly amazed by how much I’ve mellowed over the years. This blog had some really good writing and commentary in the past. I took on people and issues. Sure I may have been wrong sometimes, but I had a fire in the belly and I kind of miss it.

I used to make it a point to be involved. I’d go to board meetings and meet the movers and shakers. I was on a few advisory committees and I got to attend some great election night parties. Though it was exciting at the time, in retrospect I should have felt dirty. I would feel dirty now if I were involved in the political cesspit I used to swim in. This is not to say I was on the wrong side of anything, or that my position or opinions have changed; politics is dirty no matter what side you are on. The ends always justified the means.

Now that I’ve distanced myself from all politics I am no longer the choir that gets preached to. Sadly one of the side effects is that I no longer write about my outrage. I haven’t had a post in a while, and before this topic came up today I was considering writing a post about cookies. Cookies…Snickerdoodles no less… what have I become?

P.S. hope you injoy this photo for the next couple of weeks.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Bring on the snickerdoodles!

5:58 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

There’s one advantage to becoming mellower with age – the stress levels are significantly reduced. ;)
I have banished that image from my mind!

7:53 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

I was the same way when I left the Hive. I no longer had so much rampant idiocy to fuel my fires and I was all like "So what do I write about now?"

I think I'm losing my edge.

On the other hand, you have a way of writing that is always entertaining and I think it would be amusing to read your take on snickerdoodles.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

I love you. And thank god I didn't give up dog crap with sprinkles for Lent.

8:53 AM  
Blogger g said...

Hi Guy.
I have you on RSS alert since frequently checking your blog caused me to lose 3 minutes of my life per week.

Since you touched on Lent, I have given up smoking for Lent and have increased my fitness regimen.

Actually, I gave up smoking at the first of the year but since I have no other real vice to give up, I chose smoking for Lent.

You should do a post on giving things up.

12:09 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Anon, the fire in my belly was replaced by cookies...

Beth,Wow you have mellowed. You used to hate some of the illustrations I used to post.

Darev, I'll check with your sister to see if you have really mellowed.

Auntie, neither did Divine. (Finally I got to use a Pink Flamingos reference...)

g, remember, last year I gave up blogging.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

You have become the Cookie Monster.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

Well the joke is on you!
Just so happens that I am pushing for a bored meeting at Casper's next month. Why not? We're all there!!
Haa Haa!! I win, I win!!!
:P

11:01 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, Proudly!

Gearhead, Good idea! That's the only way they will get me to attend.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Tango's Going Ons said...

Shit!

1:44 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

With sprinkles!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Auntie said...

okay, I'll admit it. After so many days of checking in and seeing this, I am getting hungry. PLEASE POST NEW STUFF!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Bpaul said...

I envy your ability not to be involved politically, frankly. I'm amazed at how debased political theater has become, yet I still feel compelled to listen to some of this crap to try and "stay informed." Of course, all I'm being informed of is what Money wants me to hear, so it's sorta useless.

Another simmering belly fire in the works,

Bp

10:51 AM  
Anonymous dalia said...

that photo made me throw up in my mouth a little...

1:51 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

BPaul, It's rare you ever get the full story. Politics is a pretty devious craft.

Dalia, only a little? I'll have to try harder next time...

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home