Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Worst Coffee Ever


At this minute I am drinking possibly the worst cup of coffee I've ever had. I have no one but me and my laziness to blame. First let me state that I do know the difference between a good cup of coffee and mediocre coffee and bad coffee. My taste in coffee is pedestrian compared to people who spend $10+ dollars a day on their habit. I like to use half and half and sugar. I find it brings out some of the hidden complexity of the better coffees.

I know bad coffee, like the coffee that is offered in hotel rooms and aluminum pot catering hall coffee, most restaurant coffee...however I think I've topped them all.

I did mention that I am lazy about coffee. I rarely ever grind coffee and I normally buy the big bag of Pleasant Hill coffee from Costco. I set it up in our coffee maker and set the timer so the coffee is waiting for me when I wake up at 5AM.

A couple weeks ago my wife cleaned our coffee maker and I think it was submerged. The clock and timer stopped working, so I unplugged it and let it dry. After that point I got the clock working again, and the timer was difficult to set but I was able to wrangle it into submission, but the time was set in stone and I have been unable to change it since.

So last night I set it up as usual, but somehow at midnight the smell of freshly brewed coffee was wafting up-stairs. I thought it was just a dream, but I got up before 5 and found a tepid carafe awaiting me. The timer now turns on to brew randomly. Too lazy to brew a fresh pot; I had bad coffee. For my second cup I realized I ran out of half and half (too lazy to go shopping)so I used my wife's sugar-free french vanilla creamer... Even though I microwaved the coffee it was absolutely bad and chemical in nature. I'm writing off the coffee today. Lets hope for a better tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I would have poured it out and started over. In fact I have done it many times, for as simple a reason as that the coffee was a little too weak. Life is too short to drink bad coffee. Coffee time is often the best time of my day.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous gearhead said...

Motel coffee is BAAAAADD coffee.
Mrs Gearhead packed me coffee and filters so I can make my own coffee with the little coffee pot in my room.
The stuff in the breakfast area tastes like old bong water.
Not that I would know anything about that. ;-0

7:29 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I did mention I was lazy ; )

Gearhead, even tea tastes bad in hotel rooms. Old bong water may actually make it taste better...

4:11 PM  
Blogger JustRex said...

Yick! Now I'm trying to imagine what bong water coffee would taste like. And I am startled that never came up before.

Hmmm......

Yick....

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home