Monday, March 19, 2012

It's All Over Now, Baby Blue


Blue is dead. I had a love/hate relationship with him. Blue came into our lives three years ago when we ordered some chickens from Murray McMurray. The deal was that when ever you order chicks from them they throw in an exotic bird, which is their way of getting rid of roosters.

Blue was an Americuna. His first year was spent mating. I've had roosters before and I never saw one that could mate as often as Blue. He was on a different hen every minute or so; all day, every day.

He slowed down during his second year; mating only every hour or so, but this gave him more time to try to attack me. When I was outside he'd make his way to me and he'd try to ambush me. I kept a close eye on him because the moment I didn't he was in the air trying to spur me. He did catch me in the back of the boot on two occasions.

Blue was pretty noisy. Though I had gotten used to the sound of his crow, I never enjoyed hearing him scream from inside the coop three hours before day light. The neighbors must be delighted in his passing for that reason. Sometimes I'd be working out side and I could hear him crowing every few seconds for a half hour or so.

A neighbor dog took Blue and though I am upset any time one of the chickens are preyed upon by a dog, this neighbor called us and fessed up about the incident.

Blue was a beautiful bird. He kept the flock in order, but on the other hand he had a mean streak and he was noisy. I do miss him in a way, but on the other hand I'm enjoying the peace and quiet.

5 Comments:

Blogger JustRex said...

I wonder... Of all the breeds, have they ever come up with a mute rooster? I think they would sell like hotcakes.

And you might think about killing the word verification. If you haven't seen the new one, it's ugly.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So long Blue!

7:45 AM  
Blogger mark said...

Yeah, well RIP Blue, and thank goodness that spreckle-covered tootsie roll is no longer on the top of your page.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Auntie said...

Coq au Vin sounds good right now for some reason....

Seriously, sorry for your loss and sorry I never got to meet him or get attacked by him. Getting a mini-blue in the future?

10:53 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Darev, also bind their feet and clip their wings and I might consider getting another one. I took the word thing off.

Anon, Yep...

Mark, I guess I need to post a sick day soon to back in shape to read this blog.

Auntie, no more roosters on purpose.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home