Monday, June 04, 2012

What's With The Doves?

What is with the doves this year?  The only time I normally ever see them is when the cascara berries are ripe and they can be seen bouncing from one branch to the next.  Each time they land on a branch the branch will sink down a couple feet and spring back when they move on to another branch.

However this year they have been a constant outdoor companion.  They coo all day and well into the evening.  I've only seen them in flight a couple of times, but I always know they are near.  It's nearly as annoying as hearing a dog barking all day, but not quite as annoying as our former rooster, Blue.

I recall my first experience with doves in Oregon when I first moved here.  I had a bird feeder just outside my bedroom window.  At that time I was new to feeding birds and I was trying to find the best seed or blend of seeds to attract the largest variety of birds.  This one time in particular I purchased a bag of millet and I filled the feeder that same evening.  The next morning I was awoken by some sort of squabble at the feeder.  My feeder was covered in doves and the electrical service line that ran outside my window was the host of probably 30 doves waiting to get their turn.

I realized the millet had to go.  I didn't want to have one of those houses that was home to a flock of doves.  I've seen houses where pigeons hung out on the roof and soiled the shingles like an statue in the park.

I replaced the millet with black oil sunflower seed and never had a dove on the feeder again.  I suspect one of the neighbors hasn't learned this lesson yet.

12 Comments:

Blogger Auntie said...

the Ringed neck doves are a constant in Chinook, wherever you go these days.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have two that are always sitting on the neighbors' roof cooing... they come down for a bit to take a bath and have a quick snack and then I don't see them til the next day. (this comment could pertain to my kids, too...haha)

8:30 AM  
Blogger g said...

We raise doves and have noticed a lot of wild doves who hang out near our dove pen.

9:15 AM  
Blogger JustRex said...

We have such a variety of birds around here it's almost startling. Everything from little tiny finches about two inches long to a crow I saw the other day that was over a foot tall. I may have to learn what they all are just to know which is which.

9:55 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I have now heard that these are a new (to us) variety of doves from Mexico that just started migrating here within the last two years.

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, now we will need to build a much higher wall.

10:46 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Walls and prisons are two things that never seem to work as planned...

4:26 AM  
Anonymous LH said...

I miss the few doves I had at my old house. The house where the hawk would swoop down and reduce the excess population. Gross. Here, all I have are Magpies and Scrub Jays. Annoying little bastards.

9:39 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Whho whho...sounds like the stones Sympathy for the Devil...

5:18 AM  
Blogger Auntie said...

"what's with the doves?" hell, what's with you not POSTING for over a week ????? :(

3:49 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Going for a new record...

8:15 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I got this email from a friend:
I talked to my ornithologist friend and confirmed the invasion of the new dove. It is a Eurasian Collared Dove. He says just a couple will show up one year and then many more the next year. Interesting that the distribution of this bird just shows the gulf of Mexico area in my Sibley's Guide. They are really moving fast.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home