Monday, June 18, 2018

Nationalism


OK, I'm blogging again.  Why?  Because the laziness had to end sometime.  By laziness I mean that all of my recent creativity has only been my finding cleaver photos on Tumblr and posting them to Facebook; often without even a caption.  When I've been really creative I post things to Instagram, mostly without explanation or any photographic skill.

Historically this blog has consisted of observations and stories of things I've experienced that I personally find fascinating.  Well, I've recently three weeks in Europe.  This was my first venture across the pond. Things are so different there that my observations should be written down, not only for the dwindling readership here, but for the sake of my own memory.  I don't want to forget this stuff.

This is the first observation I'd like to share.  While traveling through Amsterdam, Belgium, quickly through France, and then two weeks in England and Wales I noticed that it is rare to see the flag of what ever country we were in.  You might see them on a government building like a post office, but flags are generally not seen anywhere.

I asked someone about it and they told me that flag waving is looked down upon as vulgar nationalism.  Basically he was inferring that the nationalism that is displayed in the United States is crude and vulgar.  All that pre-game National Anthem, standing with hand on the heart, flag waving BS that Americans do is distasteful.  We made our flag into a a crude spectacle, akin to big penis competition.  I have to agree.  When I drive by one of those over-sized flags, or when I drive by a house with a flag displayed I think to myself, "Hey Asshole, put your dick away!  This isn't a competition."

4 Comments:

Blogger Me. Here. Right now. said...

When you want to know how you look to the world, nothing better than asking someone outside the US! Always worked for me. And, welcome back. Now, I'm just going to have to remember to read you!

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Joanne B said...

I'm glad you're back.

And I think flag waving is distasteful. Unless you're playing soccer or playing mas. :) #repyourflag

8:30 PM  
Blogger ccbees@gmail.com said...

Even then it is distasteful.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home