Thursday, May 27, 2021

Sellers Remorse

 We are all familiar with buyers remorse, but I have only felt sellers remorse twice in my life.  The first time was when I sold a nuc of bees to someone who didn't take my beekeeping class.  It was a total disaster.  At least twice a year for several years after I was called to this person's house because their bees had swarmed.  Sure I got to keep the swarms, but I feel bad for his neighbors who had to suffer through the swarms and bees moving into their structures.  At the time I felt comfortable selling him those bees because he showed me he had the proper equipment and a couple of books.  I was wrong.

Last week I had sellers remorse again.  I sold our pop-up tent trailer to someone who was too eager to buy it. I know that campers are a hot item right now, and the idea of owning a compact unit like a pop-up is much better than the reality.  I hope the buyer has some retention of my warnings, though I'm not sure their attention span was fully present.  There are simple things that one must know like being level really matters if you want the sink to drain, or have the refrigerator work, or even have the door fit correctly and close.  There are other things like how to fold up the camper, and not putting the camper up for the winter if the canvas is damp.  

Then the winterizing instructions have to be followed.  One year I didn't winterize and the next year I had to replace the water pump, the flushing pump for the toilet and the propane regulator.  

In short, my remorse isn't from selling I truly cherished.  We already have a new truck camper that we will be using.  My remorse is for the buyer who I'm not sure can handle the responsibilities of ownership.  This type of camper is not something someone should have if they don't have strength, follow-through and patients to handle all the challenges that come with this type of camper.  I didn't see these qualities in the buyer or any of the family members.  I wish them luck and by writing this I wash my hands in the deal.


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home