Saturday, October 14, 2006

Finger Nails on the Blackboard


Ask people what their least favorite musical instrument is and you will often hear, a violin (not a fiddle) that does those cat screaming classical pieces. You will hear derogatory things about the banjo from those who hate country music and/or hillbillies. You will also hear musical glass, yep that can be annoying as well. You will also hear bag pipes, and I swear if they ever play bagpipes or play Amazing Grace or Will the Circle be Unbroken at my funeral I will jump out of the box and kick as many asses as my decomposing body can muster the strength to kick.

Anyway, back to topic… My personal least favorite instrument is the harmonica. I don’t know why, but I just can’t stand it. I’ve met Toots Thielman, and I used to work with a guy who was in the Harmonitones (Yep, you need to be a real old-timer or into really obscure music to know that one.) Both excellent musicians, but their instruments drive me crazy.

I used to have to turn the sound down on the TV when ever the theme for Northern Exposure came on. To me it’s that bad.

OK, you now know yet another thing that drives me crazy. Want another? I had a person include a word in a conversation with me today that drove me nearly harmonica crazy. Get this; the word was “Discreetful.” I nearly lost my mind; I may still…

This makes me appreciate even more when I hear an excellent orator, or if I may, a cunning linguist. I appreciate it also when I read words that are so perfectly placed together that I need to go back and read them again just to remind myself of a perfect moment in bilateral literacy. Mel’s blog has my attention these days. Anyone who can come up with the phrase "Stupid tunaskank" is worth reading in my book.

If I ever compliment your writing, please be aware that I am sincere, and I actually “have to” tell you that your word and phrase positioning gave me some joy. The more I hear and the more I read, the more I hold dear that which is very good.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbera Streisand's voice.
EeEeEeEeEeEeeeeeee........

8:48 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Don't worry Gearhead, no one will ever accuse you of being gay.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Evil Witch said...

"discreetful" ??, only in Astoria.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

Bagpipes. 'Nuff said.

10:00 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Denise, Seaside is stiff competition.

Syd, yep!

5:11 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

I can't stand the bassoon. What a warbly, bleaty annoyance.

Slave Hubby says my violin playing is like a cat being run through with a hacksaw.

11:10 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I hope to one day get a violinfrom the people who sold you yours. Great deal, and good pay back for the neighbors with dogs.

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Guy! I don't know exactly how well-deserved that praise is just lately here, but thanks nonetheless.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home