Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Tales of a Dirty Mouthed Boy

I’ve recently commented on Sassy’s blog to tell her that I love it when she talks dirty. She had a rant going on where she used the word “Fuck” several times.

It got me thinking about why my attention is always drawn toward the vulgar tongue or toward statements with colorful and rude interpretations. There was a flash in my head and then I remembered Rudy Ray Moore and the Signifying Monkey.

This was at the time when nearly every teenager knew every word of all the George Carlin and Cheech and Chong routines. Comedy recordings sold very well. I was but a teen when someone gave me an 8-track tape. They said, ”You’ve gotta listen to this…you’ll laugh you guts out…Skip ahead to this track with the monkey”

I had been familiar with vulgar conversations as any white 17 year old kid growing up in the suburbs of New York City would have been. Here I was holding a tape that would take my education in vulgarity to a whole new level. Rudy Ray’s photo was on the cover. He was surrounded by bare breasted women. I took the tape to my powder blue 1972 Grand Torino Sport with a white vinyl roof and the 8-track player.

“Way down in the jungle deep, the bad assed lion stepped on the signifying money’s feet…” Rudy Ray’s voice had all the power of a late night fire and brimstone preacher with Southern black affectations upon his gravelly voice. This was the sound that 17 year old suburban white boys were protected from hearing all their lives. It was akin to having a nickel bag, culturally forbidden, yet fun.

Rudy Ray was himself signifying his eight minute poem that is based on African folk tales, and also hinted at in the song, “Straighten up and fly right.” It is a poem of insult, innuendo, pride, lies, remorse, and most of all the filthiest language you’ve ever heard.

I was changed at that moment. I realized there were others who actually spoke the way I spoke to myself in my mind. I have no idea where that tape or that car is today, but the words are still with me. If you want to hear it, here is a link, and click on the Signifying Monkey

So if you ever go mad and lace your blog articles with colorful, vulgar, disgusting language and insults; I will be there reading with joy because someone writes the way I speak to myself inside my own head. I’ll probably leave you a comment telling you I love it when you talk dirty. And I truly do.

19 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I'm not one to use dirty language, but I remember when Richard Pryor started making comedy tapes and videos, I just couldn't get enough. And I don't think you can get much more "raw" than Richard was. I never purchased said tapes, though. I borrowed and rented them.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

I fucking love using vulgar language. I think it's because I want people to know that I'm not going to hold myself back or tone myself down for anyone, no matter who the fuck you are. You could be the president of the united fucking states of america for all I fucking care, it wouldn't stop me. Shit, some might say that I use such words because I don't have a large vocabulary. Eh, fuck em.

9:30 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I've read your bio and I understand this is a big stretch for you. Welcome to the dark side.

Zoe, I'm fuckin fallin in love with you!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Syd said...

Now it all makes sense. No wonder we hit it off so well!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Evil Witch said...

Hello neighbor, Ill tell ya, Melanie and I met in highschool oh 18 years ago and now our husbands are cousins. She is who led me to you, funny our mutual portlander links us locals to each other.

12:18 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Syd, have you heard the Signifying Monkey before?

Denise, Mel's writing blows me away. If she ever visits I'll take you both out for coffee. Were your husbands cousins before you met? Or did each of you marry your couisins? Your phrasing left that as an open target, sorry, I'm not normally a prick...quiet Moosehead, I can hear you thinking all the way across the cointinent. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading your work.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cointinent???...You wouldn't be from Jersey, would you?? That's right up there with specula Bhud! And you got all those people convinced that it was a typo.

Now if you ever need an excuse for potty mouth, just patiently explain to whoever was offended that you didn't say fuck, you said phoque (pronounced fuck) which is french for seal - those adorable little mother phoquers that Brigitte Bardot loves. Oh yeah...and those adorable mother phoquers that ate all our cod and put countless fishermen on the dole. But they are so cute and cuddly...phoque em!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

not sure that THAT is why I would want you to visit my blog but... lol I actually dont mind when people curse in moderation... to get a point across I think it is a really great use of the language... it makes us take notice (ok you more than most... but that sounds like a personal problem to me lol jk)

I find that I dont care to hear people curse for the sake of throwing the words around though.

Oh and I can save ya a trip... no curses of late... oh maybe in the post about discrimination... not much dirty talking going on either...lol no fun! *wink

Cheers!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couisins???

2:26 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Moosehead, read down a couple stories, I'm going blind dude, cut me a break. But thanks for the continual Canadian French lesson, and yes I was from New Jersey.

Kate, I replied to your blog, and Wow! you look like Nellie McKay. Very cool looking like someone famous. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be cursing like a sailor after a couple months of blogging. If not you could take up drinking when you blog. You'll be shocked the next morning at what you typed.

4:10 PM  
Blogger WenWhit said...

Fuckin' A.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the look of disappointment in peoples face when I slip and use terrible language.
There are many means of social interaction:
Body language, appearance, odor, facial expression and the spoken word.
Beyond simple social accomodation, I do what I can to make a pleasent and thoughtful touch among those around me.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for free speach and support you people tha

Comment Deleted
This post has been removed by the blog administrator.

6:12 PM  
Blogger SassyFemme said...

Hmmm, not quite sure what to say except, fucking good post. ;)

Seriously laughed with the beginning of your last paragraph, "So if you ever go mad..." I guess I'm made in a bat-shit insane kind of way. :)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

No, darlin'. The Signifying Monkey is new to me.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years ago I pulled into a grocery store parking lot and was instantly cut off by some fucking jerk who was trying to take my parking space. When I got out of my car I rattled off a few of my favorite obscenities in his direction. He then proceeded to tell me that I "talked like a trucker". I smiled at him and said, “Don’t try to sweet talk me you stupid bastard, learn how to fucking drive”. I am very proud of that moment.

Love,
Anon

7:40 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

The funny part is I dont know who Nellie McKay is! lol... I did google her and saw a photo. I guess I can see it a little. I have one of those faces... everyone thinks I look like someone they know. (Good ole Nellie was a first for me!) Some are nicer to hear than others! lmao! But thanks I think! lol

8:13 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Wenwhit and Sassy, I'm loving you more and more ; )

Gearhead, always...well almost always a gentleman, and hey, I did not censor your post. I only censored you once a long time ago.

Anon, that is an interaction I would have loved to see. (Very Syd- like) You are a brave woman.

Kate, to me Nellie is dreamy, but then she does pepper her music with obsenities so that takes her over the top im my book of favorites.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Evil Witch said...

I know Im confusing, I do it on purpose 'cause the reactions are hilarious. But no, Melanie and I met in highschool, then I met my husband and then a couple of years later I/we introduced Melanie to her husband. The boys were cousins before Melanie and I met each other.

8:47 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I figured it out when I read it, but I had to mess with you for your wording. All in good fun, my dear.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home