Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Time's Up


I was recently reading someone’s blog where they were describing waking up early and how one of their relatives had a clock that would run backwards every once in a while, and the alarm would go off at the strangest times.

This got me thinking about how reliable, and yet how unreliable our clocks are. Yes, most clocks run and run for years without problems, but I’m sure we all have a problem clock in our lives. For some it’s simply the VCR or microwave clock that needs to be reset after a brief power outage. I have seen clocks that when plugged in backwards will run backwards. You don’t see that so much anymore because they now have one prong of the plug larger than the other. In the old days it was easy to reverse the polarity and get some things to run backwards.

I do have one battery powered clock that was pretty unreliable. The minute hand would become inaccurate after a couple weeks. Within six months the clock was running about 25 minutes fast. I would start arriving places ridiculously early.

After two years with this clock I found a way to fix it. I simply removed the minute hand. Now instead of telling me the incorrect time, it gives me an impression of time. It is rare that I ever need to be somewhere exactly on time so I don’t have a watch. I haven’t worn a watch since I was sixteen.

So call it coastal casual, but I rely on impression time and I am never early of late. Now I wish I could obscure the time on the digital clocks in my life.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is such a thing as Dried Salmon time...it's whatever you want it to be. One big reason I like living here... Oh, and the fact that nobody ever dresses up.. for anything. I truly love seeing Carhart jackets at weddings.

Love,
Anon

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we call it being on Indian time...

have you ever been thinking of someone and they call...or you have called someone and they say..."I was just thinking of you?"

thats called the Indian telegraph

8:35 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Finally someone who actually knows what Indian time is. It is generally thought that it is a lack of regard for time, but that isn't true at all. Indian time means to be where you need to be at the exact right time.

Now Dried Salmon Time is the general lack of regard for time. This may be the reason the railroad doesn't run here any more : )

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I call it beach bum. Truely greatfull.

I have heard complaints from those who live elswhere and own property or a biz here. Apperently have difficulty scheduling maintenance, deliveries or even a simple meeting with the likes of some of us "without watches".

It is a new experience for me to live in an area that has soo many that work for themselves. This is a wonderfull thing and for me can feel like I am in a different world, another planet. Even the economy here seems different. Deffinately different for me. Fun to think about - thanks

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had a contractor show up at the time he said he would show up. I said to him, "You aren't from here, are you?"
He told me he just came to the area from the mid west.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Amaya said...

I like your solution to the clock issue. I'm wondering how much money you'd get for selling that as art?

11:59 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Hmmm...

It is said that time is money. This could be right up there with selling water.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I'm obsessed with clocks being synchronized. As I sit here, there are 5 digital clocks within sight, all showing the exact time, per my atomic clock. Oddly, I'm late everywhere I go.

5:30 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Yes, Syd, I have noticed you checking in here later every day.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

Slave Hubby's uncle gave us a clock that is synchonized to some satellite. However, I have no internal clock. I detest mornings and love late nights. I am only now getting better at arriving places on time. I have quite the relationship with the clock.

9:13 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I always wonder how you can home school three kids and post your blog articles at 1am.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home