Sunday, November 12, 2006

Alan Watts


Yes, I know he looks like yound Morbious from the Forbidden Planet in the photo above, but... Writing about Alan Watts brought to mind a few other things he said in some of his lectures that made me "think" way back when... Watts had a beautiful British accent. It was a literate, articulate tongue. Definately not working class or upper crust. He was quite understandable.

Here are some of my favorite Watts statements that I remember from listening to him over 25 years ago.

“We’ve always had the question about the chicken and the egg, which came first? The solution depends upon how one views the problem. So let me propose that a chicken is one eggs way of making more eggs.”

“It is man who builds square buildings and makes square things. This doesn’t happen often in nature other than crystals. Most of nature is round. It is a wiggly world in which we live.”

“It was an act of Irreducible Rascality!”

“When Jung was working on his theory of the dark side, he met a fellow who seemed to be perfect. Jung could find no dark side in this man, and he was about to give up on his theory all together, but then the man invited him to is home to meet his wife, and immediately upon meeting her Jung realized he had found this man’s dark side.”

“You know that when something is ineffable it is something that can’t be F’ed.”

“The Universe is a web of jewells”

“I misunderstood Suzuki (a Japanese Zen Master and writer) when I asked him what the essence of Zen was, I thought he said, ‘Act, but don’t act’, but what I found out later in his writing he said, ‘Act no bad act.”

"As important as it is to have a memory, it is equally important to have a forgetory."

“The word ‘Person’ comes from the Greek magaphonic masks that actors wore on stage known as ‘Personas’. So when you say that you are a real person you are admitting to be a genuine fake.”

"The that for which there is no whicher."

"A trip well traveled is often better than arriving."

"..my poor Krell..." Oops, that was actually a Dr. Morbious quote, sorry ; )

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

I used to have a book by Alan Watts, back in my zen days (from age 16 or so until I was 20). Seeing his name here brought back a lot of memories of learning to think in a totally different way.

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you guy.

8:16 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Donna, I hope one day you can hear his voice. His lectures were spell binding. Hearing him speak you knew you were getting the goods.

Portosan, I wish I could remember more of them. He had such good humor in his lectures.

And yes, for anyone interested, Forbidden Planet is one of my top three movies. The other top two would be Bliss (Aussie) and Hedwig and the Angry Inch

8:51 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for the comment in my blog, hope you don't mind the link. You have a great blog. I grew up in and around Astoria, and it's always good to hear of things from back home. Southern california doesn't have much in common with Astoria.

11:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Link away my friend. It's nice to be able to keep you in touch with your home.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home