Thursday, November 09, 2006

Starry Nights


I moved here from a suburban East coast town 19 years ago this month. It was my first big move to the country. Sure I lived in country setting previously, but only for short periods of time. One of the requirements I had for housing here was privacy. I didn’t want to see any neighboring houses.

My first night in my new house was a crisp clear frosty moonless night. The previous owner left me a good stack of fire wood. I lit a fire in the wood stove and the house was empty, but warm. I hadn’t yet purchased any furnishings.

With nothing better to do I turned off the lights and wandered out side to look at the stars. It was dark, and a type of still darkness I’ve only experienced in the Canadian wilderness previous to that.

The Milky Way spanned the sky, and the voices of coyotes could be heard many miles away. Occasionally I could hear a cow bawling in a field a mile or so in the distance. It was a wonderful time, yet nearly a spooky time wondering if something were to drag me off in that instant…would I ever be found.

My life here began on that night. The next day I went out and purchased furnishings and appliances for the house. There was a steady stream of delivery trucks here for the next two or three days. It had become a home, my home.

Sometimes I still go out on those frosty clear dark moonless nights and look skyward. I think back about the past 19 years, and all the kind people I’ve met, and all the laughs I’ve had, and all the writing I’ve done and especially all the things I’ve learned.

I so love it here.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

MMMmmmmmm I do so love a starry, night with a beautiful moon as well!! Our place up north (which is sadly on the market now :(((() used to have some awesome, awesome starry nights and when we first got the place some 25+ years ago...we would occasionally see the most amazing northern lights displays up there.......

I so love it there.

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

home is where ur heart is

7:40 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Quoting Dr. Amelio Lizardo:
"I'm feeling so broke up I wanna go home"

12:57 PM  
Blogger Syd said...

I never fully appreciated the beauty of the night sky until I moved to the country. I understand your enchantment.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Amaya said...

I'm a big city girl at the moment and I love it but I can see myself leaving this all behind in a few years to have a view of the stars again.

1:57 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

I didn't want to ruin the mood of the article, but with all the development in the area where I live there are more lights. Folks move here from town and they seem to be afraid of the dark so they leave porch lights and spot lights on 24 hours a day. So I now have to block all that stuff out of my periphery vision to rekindle the feeling. So sad...

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll ruin it - Bastards! Rat Bastards!! All of them!!!

6:07 PM  
Blogger LeLo said...

Lovely. I think looking at the night sky makes you exhale more. It's a good feeling.

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the best place I've ever stargazed around here is about 100 or more miles offshore on a fishing boat...so far way from any artifical light source and coastal haze. A bazillion stars seem to hover just above the mast top and their bright reflections dance upon the gentle glassy black sea surface-truely hypnotic and spell binding starry eyed blindingly beautiful starry starry nights out there.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a little girl, I'd ride in the back seat of our car, my head pressed to the window, eyes looking out and up at the heavens, seeking answers and understanding that I was, in fact, very small. Now that I'm grown up (*tear*), I'm often humbled by the "big-ness" of it all. Even when I can't see the stars because of city lights, I remember that feeling on the long ride home from Grandma and Grandpa's. And I still have a lot of unanswered questions, the answers hidden behind the stars.

8:39 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Thanks Moose, I knew I could count on you to watch my back.

Lelo, sound like a breath deficit...

Cosmo, ever see St. Elmo's Fire? That is one thing I'd love to see.

Jaggy, my first ultra star experience was driving to Canada with my dad when I was 7 years old. We got a flat tire in the middle of the night, and we were out in the middle of no where. After he fixed the tire I spent the rest of the night lookung up from the rear window. Thanks for bringing back that memory for me.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the last refuge from development is the sea, like cozmo said.

Here's to progress?

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"St. Elmos Fire"?

No, can't say that I have. I was witness The Great Western Fireball Of 1972, though. An angry and deadly visitor that scared the pants of us as it flew over head without us having a clue as to what it was....

In the summer, when the trade winds blow offshore north Oregon-out in the blue blue deep water-the nights are clear and starfilled. Not a bit of atmospheric interference for the smog of the inland cities and the smoke from forests and valleys does not go offshore. There are no hills or terraformations to block the sky...it's 360 degrees of flat horizon..at night it's like sitting beneath an upside down bowl of stars

12:51 AM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Very cool Cosmo...very cool!

5:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home