Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Sense of Taste


Our sense of taste is something that often brings us more joy than all our other senses. Anyone with epicurean interests can probably describe some of their favorite tastes to a degree that would have most people bored to tears in no time.

Taste will often evoke memories of times that predate our ability to speak. Sometimes we will forget the events of a day, but when reminded of the meals we had the events of the day become very present.

So how do I explain my best culinary moment, a moment of surprise and excellent taste that actually rewarded me with joy that I carry with me today? My task will be easier for many of you since it involves something local, particularly the Columbia Café.

My most memorable moment was while having breakfast there several (13) years ago. It was the first time I had gone there for breakfast. I ordered some sort of crêpe, and to my delight I took a spoon full of Uriah’s garlic jelly and plopped it on a crêpe and smeared it around. As the fork entered my mouth, there was some sort of off-gassing event that told my mouth this was going to be good; very good in deed.

The fork with crêpe and garlic jelly landed squarely on the center of my tongue, and the taste quickly spread to every taste bud to the north, south, east and west. It crept along my palate, and my mouth felt as though it was singing with joy.

When I finished my meal I made sure to get one of those little wooden cartons with a pack of three jellies in it; garlic, red pepper and green pepper jellies. I put the jellies on everything I ate over the next week. I had all I could do not to put it on oatmeal. I went online to SOAR: The Searchable Online Archive of Recipes (www.recipesource.com) and found a recipe and made several pints. I love the stuff, though I haven’t had any for quite some time. This article reminds me I must have some again soon.

It all sounds so strange to value this simple culinary garnish above some of the most amazing meals I’ve had is some of the finest eateries on the continent, but this actually made my mouth feel as though each taste bud was singing; loudly. It was the surprise and the splendor that made this decision easy for me to choose it as the best taste experience in my life so far.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds very yummy indeed!!! You would like something I tried just recently....chili honey....OMG is it good...never tasted such an interesting flavour combination....it's great on any kind of meats as well as cheese and even just as is on toast.

I bought some recently at my sisters where we tried it and then I took it home with me...my one nephew loved it soooooo much and was sooooooo disappointed that I took it home with me that he got a jar of it in his stocking!!!!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good honey mustard can really wake up the senses.
With just a touch of horseratish, fresh ground mustard, honey, OH BOY!!!!!
We had a good old boy that sold some at the farmers market, but has since passed away. :-(

12:36 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

You two should check to see if there is a recipe on SOAR. You may be surprised with the stuff you'll find there.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Undercover Mother said...

It always amazes me how fast people eat, they don't even taste their food or integrate the texture of the food into the experience. They call foods "bland" that are actually "subtle" in the sense that the tastes are there, but you have to NOTICE them!

I adore really good vegetables, good honey (of course), and a really good Hungarian mushroom soup.

I'd better move on or I'm going to go eat something...

9:32 PM  
Blogger The Guy Who Writes This said...

Vegetables? Raw, or cooked with at least a nice sauce?

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home